SMT Turkey Trot 2016

Race Details
Price : $24 - Early registration
Date: November 24.
Goodies: Long sleeve cotton shirt, candy bar, Papa Johns's Pizza BOGO coupon.

I was really excited for this race, because I have run this route several times, and it's one of the biggest 5K in New Cumberland. But when I woke up that morning, I felt sick. I was a little dizzy and a little  nauseous. But not enough to stay home and rest...

I normally have  bagel and coffee before a race, but my body didn't want more than 1 bite of bagel and my coffee was too hot to drink. I drank some water and we left the car.

Roger had planned to beat his 5K time, and wanted to finish at 25.30. I felt so sick, that my goal was just to finish the 5K.



We lined up in the back, because Roger took too long in the bathroom, and we made it to the start line, 2 minutes before the race started. It took us about 3 minutes to cross the start line, there were a lot of people at the race.

At the start of the race, I started running slowly, but passing a lot of people on the grass, because the road was too crowded.

The streets stayed crowded as the race went along, so I spent the first 2 miles swerving around people. At some point I was running on the sidewalk, while the rest of the runners where on the road.

This year there was a Turkey Trot Tri Challenge, where those who signed up for it, would stop at 1.5, eat a personal pumpkin pie, a glass of apple cider and have to carry a small pumpkin the rest of the race. My friend Adriane was participating in this, so when I went by the Turkey Trot Tri area, I looked for her, but didn't see her.

I was feeling pretty good, considering that I hadn't had any food, and I was feeling sick at the beginning of the race. I sped up the second mile and last mile.

The last part of the course was going through New Cumberland's Main street and this is always my favorite part. The main street is closed and I love it when town takes so much pride on a race, to close the main street. Harrisburg could learn from New Cumberland for their Marathon.

Close to the finish, a cheerleader handed me a red feather. So, I took it. I sprinted to the end and finished. My Garmin said 27 minutes. It wasn't my fastest, but I felt good about the time.

Roger finished at 28 and change. He wasn't happy. He was cursing up the amount of people and how crowded streets were. So I walked away from him, because I had nothing to say to make him feel better. I  caught up with Adriane at the finish, she said that she had done 28 minutes, even with stopping to eat a Pie and carrying a pumpkin! I was very proud of her! she was in total beast mode!




We got some snacks, and cashed in my red feather for a Race ornament. There were runners dressed like turkeys as part of the race, and if you could catch one, and take a feather, there were prizes at the end for the feathers. I had really wanted a pair of Turkey Trot sunglasses, but got an ornament.


There is also a Frozen Turkey Toss, and Roger tried it out. He was pretty happy with his results.



I enjoy this local race, but if I had a suggestion for the Race Organizers, I would say to release the runners in 3 waves, to keep the streets from overcrowding.

Did you Turkey Trot?
Ever done a Frozen Turkey Toss?
What do you do in crowded races? swerve? avoid? wait it out?




Comments

  1. "Roger took too long in the bathroom." Ha ha ha! That made me giggle. Great job you guys! I don't do turkey trots, mostly because we don't really have any around here. But man I'd love to! It would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always does! and he doesn't appreciate me mentioning it either.

      Come on over next year and do a turkey trot with us! I'm sure you would win the race!

      Delete
  2. I had to giggle about the Roger comment too! I like the fact that you had to catch the turkey and get a feather for a prize. That's a nice touch. In our local turkey trot (which I did not run), you have to beat the turkey to the finish line. The turkey is usually a local celebrity. This year it was a host of a local radio show. I know her and she is a good runner so I wonder if she slowed her paced down at all since it's more of a family friendly event and not all out competitive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cashing down a local celebrity sounds fun! I like that idea!

      Some people caught turkeys, I got lucky that a feather was handed to me!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a fun race! It's cool they have little themed events like the turkey toss and pumpkin carry. The ornament is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! I immediately hung it up in our Christmas Tree, I need more running ornaments for sure.

      Delete
  4. It seems to me, from reading all these TT recaps, that the TTs are just too damn popular. I guess if it gets people out there running, it's a good thing, but for those of us who want to race, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TT are a very community oriented event! I didn't realize how popular, but it makes sense.

      Delete
  5. Well that sounds like a fun race! I guess a Turkey Trot is not always the place to have a time goal due to all the crowds and such, although I am sure there are some that aren't crowded. Roger will just have to have his redemption race sooner! You do look pale in your before picture. I am amazed you got up and ran while sick! I can't say I have ever run a race while sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promised Roger I would find him a non-crowded race, he has to beat that 5K or i'll never hear the end of it.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like such a fun race. I wish I were close enough to do that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe another year? Are you doing DC RnR? I'm running it in March 2017.

      Delete
  7. Those Turkey Trots do get crowded! Still, it sounds fun! I usually just shove people out of the way. JUST KIDDING! I do a lot of dodging and swerving. I often motion with my hands/arms first to give a visual was to where I'm heading - cutting through people. They see my hands first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger loves shoving people out of the way, I'm more of the "will run on the road or sidewalk" person.

      ja ja! that's awesome! I need to learn the hand motion directions.

      Delete
  8. Thanks!

    I both love and dislike overcrowded races.

    A donut challenge sounds interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  9. The turkey feather prize idea is so clever and funny! I love that ornament, but I'm sorry you didn't get the sunglasses haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment