Meatless (delayed) Monday

So, on the last Friday Five, a lot of people shared recipes... but I didn't, because I totally missed the idea and gave a list of foods I loved, most of which I have never made on my own. Well, today I'm doing something a bit different and will share a simple recipe with you.

Also, a few weeks ago, Deb invited me to participate on their Meatless Monday link up, and when an awesome woman invites you to her link up... you just do it!



At my parent's for Thanksgiving, we only eat breakfast, and snack until it's time for dinner. This is one snack dish I bring for us to share, it's a favorite of all, even of the brother who only eats pizza all year long.

Cowboy Caviar

Ingredients
1 can of black beans
1 can of black eye peas
Juice of 1 lime
2 table spoons of Red Wine vinegar
2 table spoons of Olive Oil ( I use Extra Virgin for more flavor)
1/2 cup of finely chopped cilantro
1 chopped medium onion
1/2 cup chopped red (or green) bell pepper
3 chopped tomatoes
1 cup of sweet corn cooked ( you can use canned, I don't, because I don't like canned corn)
Salt
Pepper
Paprika

In a large bowl, mix the lime juice, the vinegar, olive oil, paprika, salt a pepper. Wisk them together and taste it. Add any salt or pepper to your prefer taste ( I use this for salad dressing too, it is so tasty)

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, keeping in mind to mix the dressing from the bottom.

I got this recipe from a runner, who eat this with lettuce leaves. But I prefer to eat mine with tortilla chips, or with a side of white rice. ... but I could really snack on this bean salad all day long!

Also, I have made it without cilantro for somebody who doesn't like cilantro.


Do you Like Cilantro?
Chips or lettuce leaves?
Do you prefer red or Green peppers? I can't stand green peppers, but love red ones.


Comments

  1. So glad you joined us!! I love cowboy caviar and cilantro is one of my favorite herbs to cook with. It just makes everything taste better. Thanks for linking up. Have a great Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite!!

      I put cilantro on a lot of stuff too!!

      Delete
  2. OMG that looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so yummy! give it a try!

      Delete
  3. Ana! I'm totally going to make this! I've shown Andrew your blog before for all the yummy Mexican food so I know he will like this. It looks super healthy too and he's trying to lose a couple of pounds, so we'll probably eat it with lettuce. ;) WE LOVE cilantro. Omg it's the best. We use it in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and Andrew Enjoy it !! it's a favorite in our house.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great idea for a healthy snack! Though I have to admit I would go for the chips over the lettuce leaves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have it with purple tortilla chips, and tell ourselves that it's healthy.

      Delete
  5. Oh see, that's the trick! Beans fill up and have protein! so no loss there!

    Yums! Guac and chips are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh - I love this recipe concept!!! I've always been instructed to try to eat the rainbow for health purposes, and look at all the beautiful colors in the finished product!!! LOL at the brother who only eats pizza all year long, I know several folks like that, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy and so tasty! and you are right, I love all the colors in it!

      Yes, my one brother is pizza man! if we were to cut him in half, he would be full of pizza!

      Delete
  7. I *love* cilantro!!!!!!!! Paul hates it. He thinks it tastes like soap. My family is weird and we do our big Thanksgiving meal at lunch. So I actually don't eat at ALL until the big meal. I get up at like 8, go for about an hour run, and then I'm really hungry for our meal at Noon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that there is a theory that about people who don't like cilantro, and how it is on their genes. Their body recognizes it as poison.

      We make breakfast and then my mom kicks everybody out of the kitchen to cook. Only those who are helping are allowed in.

      Delete

Post a Comment