Currently Reading 2.3.16

In 2013 I gave myself a challenge to read all the books in the Amazon 100 Books to Read in a lifetime. I have listed to many of them in Audiobooks, but it seems I have hit the point at which none are available on audiobooks at the library. So I asked for a few of them for Christmas this year.

 I recently finished The Handmaid's Tale (6) by Margaret Atwood. This book surprised me! I enjoyed it, even though I had a little bit of a hard time getting into it. The themes of the book seem very relevant to the scary times we are living. As soon as I finished it, I was listening to this report on NPR about Abortion Laws in Texas. And it made me think that the book, which is a " fictional dystopian society" hit on some points that are feel very real right now.




The whole time that I was reading the book, I kept asking myself the same question, Could I live in a society in which I would be only seen as a baby factory? Could I live a life in which I have to do only what is asked of me? Would I survive if I was sent to a farm to do farm labor work?

This book made me think a lot, about many things such as modern feminism, the role of women in society, misogynist behavior, expectations of women, religion. Very Intense book!

I would recommend this book to my sisters and brothers. I already put it in Roger's pile of books to read.

Also reading *again*, Bossy Pants by Tina Fey (7).This book is hilarious! I haven't followed Tina Fey's work, but the book is excellent !

 
 
What are you reading now? Did any books leave you with lingering questions?

Comments

  1. Great picks! I just grabbed Atonement from the library. I'm doing a similar challenge, but mine is off of Time's best books of all time. Some of them have been pretty slow and boring reads, so this might be tough:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read Bossypants for a while, because Tina Fey is so great. I just finished reading It was Me All Along by Andie Mitchell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment