I Suck at Protesting and other Ramblings

Happy Wednesday! how are you today? How is your week going?

Last night I was gearing myself up for this Day Without A Woman event, I picked out my red scarf to wear in support, because there is a mountain of papers at my paper that wont' let me take the day off. My son made muffins... from a box... on his own, and I thought of a lunch to pack.

One of the easiest things for me to pack is a rice bowl, (chicken, pico de gallo, beans, avocado) so I made extra of everything for dinner, and made the rice. **BUT** In Roger's head, he eats meat once a week, in reality, he eats meat 3 times per week. So, I made one chicken breast, half was for me for dinner, the other half for me to take for lunch. It was a big piece of chicken, so even if Roger ate some of it, there would still be enough for me to take.... Until he ate all of it. Along with most of the pico de gallo I had also made extra of. Bottom-line, there wasn't enough food for me to pack a lunch.

Then it hit me.... I couldn't even participate on the not spending part of A Day Without A Woman, because now I have to buy lunch! I was frustrated at myself for sucking at protesting! I had the same problem with Day Without An Immigrant, had to buy lunch, because there wasn't enough food for me to pack.

Then I though... I have lots of Day Without A Woman days built in my month... in which I will not be spending any money at all! Like the day before my paycheck!

It was a long night... because I started thinking after that, what would a real day without me be like? Well, work at my office would not get done, I think most of my office doesn't even know what I do, and some think that all I do is sit at my desk and punch numbers in a computer... which is about 75% accurate!

As you know, I'm divorced, so a day without me for my son is just called a Wednesday on week 1 and weekends of week 2. But I still miss him and think of him when he is away from me.

Then I really started thinking of those women who cannot afford to take a day off, a day off to be with their children, or without to get groceries done,  a day off to go for a run, a day off from laundry, food making, work, from their abusive relationships, from ridiculous body expectations, from drug addiction, from poverty!

So, today my thoughts go to those women! I understand why you can't take a day off, and you have my respect!

What do you like to pack for Lunch?
Do you bake?
What would you do in a day all to yourself?
Are you participating on Day Without A Woman?
Are you supporting the cause on your own way?

Comments

  1. I'm supporting in my own way :) Still at work but wearing a red scarf and packed my lunch. I have leftovers ready for dinner as well. When I pack my lunch it tends to just be a slapped together lunch, nothing exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing my red scarf too! and not cooking dinner!! Roger has to do that!

      Delete
  2. Your rice bowl sounds good! I pack lunch every day and hate when my husband uses the last of something (like the last piece of cheese that I was going to put in my sandwich), but if I have something already prepared he's pretty good at asking me If I'll be taking it to lunch.

    I will be going shopping today because it's the only free time I have after work. I don't get this whole women's day thing. No one is arguing that women aren't valued or important. Where does this come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice bowl is so easy to pack for me... but I'm the one person at the office who pack like 3 bowls to make 1 dish.

      I do not know where the idea came for Day Without A Woman, I think it was from the group who started the "grab them by the Wallet" hashtag... I do believe on taking a stand, but I respect everybody's opinion on this.

      Delete
  3. I didn't even know about this woman's day until I checked Facebook this morning! I often think about my sister and how she is vital to keeping her son alive. He is 18 with cerebral palsy. He doesn't walk, talk, eat (he's tube fed) or do bathroom duties by himself. He needs turned in the nighttime when he's trying to sleep. If I was my sister, I'd always wonder what would happen if I just disappeared. That must feel like SO much pressure, to know my son wouldn't be as healthy if I died or got sick or anything like that. Enormous pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Sister is amazing! I really admire those who care for their own family the way your sister does. Their strength and love is commendable !

      Delete
  4. I am glad there are other ways to participate besides taking the day off work. While I think if we all did take the day off it would send a POWERFUL message, but the truth is, not everyone is in the position to be able to just take the day off! (Like you mentioned.) And for me, I feel like teaching is one way I can make a HUGE difference in this country, so taking a day off would be counter productive for that. I am not knocking anyone who is choosing to protest in their own way. I won't be hating on ANYONE!

    Meat 3 times a week? I have it twice a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a very powerful message! and one that many in Washington need to hear! but not everybody is in a situation to protest, and I respect that. My son asked me if could take the day off, and take him out of school and we could spend the whole day doing nothing at home. He is the best1

      Yes, Roger has himself on a strict diet of no meat. That was one of the most difficult things about living with him at first, because like you, I eat meat twice per day!

      Delete
  5. I loved that there were many ways to participate in The Day Without Women without having to strike. I know whole-country female strikes have made big changes elsewhere and if we were all brave enough to do it, it could really change our country, too. But my boss is a woman and I work with women and my students are young women (some of them), so to me, being at work was really important. But I did donate to UNICEF on Wednesday to support women and children, so I felt that helped me participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ali! When working with women is our job, it's hard to stay out of the office. The majority of participants in my program are single moms.

      Delete

Post a Comment