Belly Inquiries

A couple of weekends ago, I was visiting my family for my niece's and sister's birthday celebrations. I didn't know what to wear, it was a kid's party, which would likely require me to be on the floor playing with my niece, and my son. But I wore a stripped dress. I felt uncomfortable on it the whole night, but didn't think about it much that night.

The next day, as I was getting ready to leave, my sister came over and patted my stomach and said "tuck in your belly, it looks chubby!" I rolled my eyes at her and said "Don't pat my belly fat!"

Then my mom came over and said "Your belly was looking very roundish last night, is there something you want to tell us?"

"Yes! " I said in an overly excited tone. "I want to tell you that I'm ready to make my love of bread and tacos to a new level and attempt to make a taco torta!". They laughed and moved on. But I didn't. That thought stayed with me... why do they have to comment on my fat belly?

In all truth, it bothered me more from my sister than from my mom. See, growing up my mom spent years trying to get me to put on some weight. We went from doctor to doctor, my mom always with the same issue, that I was too skinny. All doctors said that I was healthy, and to keep feeding me a balanced diet. My mother finally being happy with my weight is a huge Win!!

I consider myself a very active person, and I am happy with the shape of my body, flabby belly included. But I have to ask myself....

Do I want a flat stomach? Yes! who doesn't! As women, we are raised to want the tiny waist and the flat abs, anything else, we are told, is unattractive. And

Am I willing to put in the work to get a flat stomach? No. Just flat out no. I love my carbs, donuts, bread, tortillas... my idea of heaven is living in a world made of a crunchy French baguettes, decorated with light buttery croissants, lined with muffins and waffles.

I do my core work outs, lots of it a week, lots of running, drink my water, but my flabby belly is still flabby and roundish. Some days more roundish than others!

At the end of the day you another day older..... Wait!!! that is a line for Les Mis... wrong post... At the end of the day, I am confident of my body. I'm strong, I am smart and my flabby belly is just another awesome part of my body.

And finally, will it bother me again if they comment on my belly? Of course it will, I'm am not made of rock ! But I will say again, my roundish belly doesn't stop me from being awesome.




Comments

  1. Yahooo! I love it when people love their bodies. We have so much to celebrate, and being positive and loving is just way sexier than being critical and hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post cus I suffer from the chubby belly too! You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would absolutely enrage me if someone commented negatively about my body. How did your mom and sister think that would make you feel!!??

    I'm glad you are happy with your body because I think you look strong! No wonder you can run all those miles and take all those Zumba classes.

    When I was really careful about calories and carbs, my stomach looked a little bit better... but not sure so much that it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giiiiirl. We have all been there. Let it roll off your back.. 6 pack of tacos... to share with friends!! HAHA. I am so not willing to put in the work for a 6 pack or flat abs either. I can't cut out everything. Well I could, I don't want to . I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I think you look fantastic. You exude confidence and although I've run in just a sports bra a few times now myself, I never feel as confident as you look! I look at other women who run in sports bras and am jealous of their comfort in their bodies!

    One thing I hate about families is that they feel they have the right to make comments that they'd NEVER make to a stranger or even to a friend. Just because you grew up with them and know them intimately doesn't mean they have a right to be so...let's face it...rude.

    I'm glad you are letting it go, but I'm with Megan. This kind of thing would enrage me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment