Post Marathon Plans

The first Marathon is done! Training paid off and we finished it! Now, after two weeks of lollygagging and recovery, I'm ready to get back on those running / race goals for the rest of the year. I'm breaking down the goals by season, as training will be harder in the summer, because of school schedules, but for me the summer is 5K season, and hopefully a few 10Ks.. we will see.

The rest of the Spring

I have my annual 5K this weekend, the Kennett Run. This is a favorite race for me, it's challenging, but it's the 5K most of my family does. And this year... drum roll please... my son will be running the 5K! I am so excited for his first 5K! Of course, he has no time goals, but I have told him to have fun, to run, jump, walk, dance, skip, whatever he needs to do to finish it. I'm willing to give him a piggy back ride, but only for a little bit.



I'm looking at doing 2 5Ks on Memorial day weekend. I will have to register by Friday to get the early Registration fee. One is a local 5K, the Memorial Day Dash, which I have wanted to do for 3 years.

Summer

Right now, I am only considering 2 other 5Ks, but I'm looking for more. Probably local races.

In September, which feel more like Fall, I am registered for the Bird In Hand Fire Company Challenge, which is a 5K on Friday night (9.09.16) and the BIH Half Marathon on Saturday Morning (9.10.16).  I will go into full training mode for this the first weekend of June.

I am also very interested in doing the Virginia Beach Rock 'n' Roll Half. But need to look at accommodations first.

Fall

Hershey Half Marathon- I had an amazing time at the Hershey Half Last year, and want to run it again this year. The other day I developed the irrational fear that it will be raining that day... I don't know where it came from.



I told Roger that I was considering doing the Philadelphia Marathon, and now his FOMO is kicking in, and he wants to do it too. I need to make a decision on this one soon, because in two weeks, it will be out of my price range.

That's all that is in my head right now... I feel so much better now that's all down and in writing. Now to explore Virginia Beach trips.


Comments

  1. SO EXCITING that your son is running his first 5K with you this weekend!!! You are both going to have so much fun - I can't wait to hear details about how it goes!

    You've got such an amazing line-up of races under consideration. I've actually been considering RnR Virginia Beach the last several years since the Labor Day weekend timing is convenient. However, I'm told the weather conditions are usually extremely hot and humid, so that's something to be prepared for if you do pull the trigger. I've also heard such great things about the Philadelphia Marathon! How cool that Roger is thinking about running it, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily!! Thanks for the Advice on the humidity, I always forget to think of the future weather ! And I love the idea of running in a holiday weekend!

      Delete
  2. So fun to run a 5k with your son! When my boys were little, they ran races with me. Not so much anymore...

    Can't wait to see how everything goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I'm very excited!

      Delete
  3. I love annual 5ks...they're my favorite races because I know the path so well that I run them faster! How nice that your kiddo will run with you this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali, I love this race!! And sharing it with my son will make it more awesome !

      Delete
  4. ooh I just signed up for the Hershey half! Did you like it? A group of us are going up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah!! Omg! How awesome! We will have to arrange to get coffee or
      Meet before the race! I love the Hershey Half! It is hilly, but manageable. And there is a big hill at mile 12. Just FYI.

      Delete
  5. FOMO... lol. I get that a lot. Not just with races, but everything. But I usually do end up missing out because my couch and pjs are so comfy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,

      Ja ja! Roger is very competitive, when we met he swore to me that he would never do another race past 3 miles. Three years later, 2 half marathons and a Marathon later, he is driven by FOMO!

      Delete
  6. That's so exciting that your son is doing his first 5k this weekend! I hope you both have a great race :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chaitali! I hope the rain stays away!

      Delete
  7. How fun your son is racing! I well remember the first 5k each of my daughters ran. Such great memories. I hope you get to run RnR Virginia Beach. I've heard wonderful things. Isn't it funny how those price increases spur us on to pull the trigger (or not) on races. Sadly I was a DNS in Philly in 2011. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia,
      I'm sorry to hear of your DNS for philly.

      I'm excited for my son's first 5k! I promised myself that I would never push him, and if he wanted to
      Run, it would just happen.

      We are excited to visit other beaches, and Virginia seems close enough to drive

      Delete
  8. Bird in Hand is on my list do to! I've heard great things about the Hershey Half, but it's the same weekend as a local half I do every year. You should do Philly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bird In Hand is a very different experience, the r

      Delete
    2. Sorry! Wrong button! The runner community there is amazing and very friendly! It is also really cool to run with the Amish runners.

      Delete
  9. I've heard great things about the Hershey Half. Sounds like a delicious place to run a major race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hershey half is a great race. At mile 12, they hand out chocolate and the recovery bags have chocolate too. The entire town comes out to cheer on the runners.

      Delete
  10. So exciting that your son is doing a race! I have done the Philly marathon twice and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I'm feeling very encouraged by all the positive comments I'm hearing about philly

      Delete

Post a Comment