Alternate Holiday Weekends SUCK!

I've been divorced for 4 years now. And Alternate holiday weekends still suck!! For any of you who are not divorced, and don't have to memorize a Custody schedule for your child... let me give you a brief explanation. Shared custody of a child means that my son summer holidays get alternated year to year.... last year he was with me for Memorial Day, and Labor Day. This year he goes with his Dad and  I get him for 4th of July.

This was supposed to be my weekend, but instead, my son gets to spend the holiday weekend with his Dad. I'm sad about it, but the only thing I can do about it is deal with it. So I'm planning on running a couple of races to stop torturing myself psychologically, and push myself Physically instead.

Roger and I will be driving out to the beach for the weekend, but not before I can have some more torture. A baseball game was cancelled two weeks ago, and the coaches picked the Friday before the holiday weekend to make it up..... Yes, because nobody else was trying to forget their sorrows with a short trip! So we are driving to Rehoboth DE AFTER the baseball game.... AFTER seeing him play and having fun, and knowing he will be going with his dad.

Ok, enough with my whining. I get to go to the beach for 2 glorious days, and even if it's cloudy and raining, I will still be in a short vacation, and I'm lucky to have that! Packing my Harry Potter audiobook for the long drive, and a few other books to read by the beach.

Comments

  1. My parents are still married, and I never understood how truly lucky I was to have that until I met my husband. His parents divorced when he was seven and they still expect him to split holiday time between them. They end up making him feel very guilty if he spends even one extra hour with one of them versus the other. I know it's really hard for parents, and it's really hard for kids too. So I'm sorry that you have to deal with that! The good news is that my husband truly understands how much his parents love him because they always want to spend time with him.

    I really need to get the Harry Potter books on audio! I reread them every summer anyway and it would be nice to have them to listen to when I travel or on runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali! Your comment reminded me to stop and think how this affects my son too! I was too caught up with my complaining.

      I try to not guilt my kid about spending time with his dad... I don't want him to grow up resentful of me over fights with his father. He might already resent our divorce, no need to add more stress to him.

      I highly reccomend getting the Harry Potter books in audio!! Jim Dale does a fantastic job at reading them, it's Better than the movie every time!!

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you have to deal with the split custody of your son. :( Since I don't have kids, I can't wrap my mind around how difficult it is, but I can feel your pain through you're writing so I am sorry! I hope you have fun at the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Megan! I really appreciate the kind words !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only image (since I don't have children) how hard that arrangement must be on you sometimes. I hope that your son has a wonderful weekend now and a fabulous one with you next year! Hopefully, you can still have plenty of fun at the beach. Racing and reading Harry Potter maybe aren't cure-alls but they are pretty close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raquelita ! Racing and books do help some!

      Delete

Post a Comment