What Are You Thinking About?

A few years ago at my job, the CEO made us take a personality test . From what I remember, it was 2 Questions. From this test, we got a Personality Index, or what they called PI. The PI had four "channels", the first aspect of my personality said that I like things my own way best, the second said that I think a lot before making decisions, and to process my ideas, the third said that I need proof to believe something, and the fourth was that I like to work on multiple projects at the same time. 

It took a couple of years for somebody to sit down and explain all of those "channels" to me. And the first time somebody explained to me that I think too much. 

The thoughts.... get it... the thoughts kept spinning in my head, sometimes I feel I don't need to talk, because things are logical, things don't have to be explained to others, things don't have to be said out loud ALL THE TIME! 



And then the realization came to me...  not everybody is me. When one works with people who prefer to talk things out, when one is married to somebody who has to talk things out, things get uncomfortable. Things get said that are not meant to be said, when a thinker is forced to talk.

And then I started writing blog post, random things that I needed to have my brain process... and I still find myself doing this some days... this is exactly why my post might seem like word vomit, all my random thoughts in a screen.

Writing this blog has helped me to put my thoughts into coherent words and sentences, to straighten out what my ideas are, and to stop and find a better way of saying things.  

I have learned different ways to let the talkers in my life know that, I am listening to what they are saying, and that I heard them. And when asked to make an important decision, I need to think about it first... and now, I am able to community with talkative co-workers, and my partner is also a quiet thinker.... and I have not asked him once "what are you thinking?"

Are you a thinker or a talker? 
Does your job do personality profiles? 
Have you taken any personality profile test?
What are things you don't feel have to always be said?





Comments

  1. I've never had to take one of those tests for a job but I don't see how it can truly pinpoint the personality of someone. After all, what we say and do on paper is much different than what we would say and do in a real life situation. And only 2 questions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was !! and it was very accurate! The firs question was How do you see yourself? and two columns of adjetives, the second question was How do others see you? and the same list.

      For other co-workers, and for me, it was super accurate. I taught me a lot !

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely a thinker too and I think Mike is more of a talker. It works out most of the time :) We took a personality test at work but I can't even remember what it said any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you and Mike have found ways to make your communication styles works! and that is very important!

      At work, they gave us several trainings on our personality test, so we are almost like experts.

      Delete
  3. So Roger is a thinker as well? Do you think you could be married to a talker? I think it's cool you were able to really learn this about yourself so you can see how you can adapt to others that don't communicate like you. As I'm sure you can guess... I'm a talker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger is way more of a thinker than me! and I have learned to give him his thinking space.

      Being married to a talker who refuses to learn how to communicate with a thinker was difficult.

      Do you get irritated with thinkers?

      Delete
    2. No I don't think so... more space for me to talk!!

      Delete
  4. I'm a talker! But talking is how I think. I analyze the crap out of EVERYTHING. I try not to talk when I'm feeling super-charged emotionally; I wait until my emotions settle down and my brain comes back online before I speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course!! that is part of being a talker, that is how you are processing information. I work with a few talkers, and seeing them process information by talking about it, is fascinating.

      Have you said things that you didn't mean when you were talking emotions?

      Delete
  5. I am an over-thinker in some situations and an under-thinker in others. Some things just feel immediate and natural; some things need to be thought out.

    When I write blog posts, sometimes I do have word-vomit because I am working through something. And then I go back and edit and try to clean up any repetition or unclear thoughts. That's just the writer in me! I did it with the post I put up today for Friday Five; I wanted to explain my recovery plan clearly but I felt I was redundant so I had to edit the post down.

    Other times, I feel like the post comes naturally and doesn't need much fixing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment