Thoughts on Mother's Day

Out of all the memories in my head from buying gifts for my mom for Mother's Day, this one stands out to me the most. My Dad picked us from school, and took us to pick out something for my mom from a stand by the church in the center of town. I picked a musical card with flowers inside, and presented it to my mom with so much pride and joy. My mom accepted it and then said to my Dad, while we were still in the room "I would have rather have you give me the money you spent on those gifts, I don't need cards and flowers, but we do need diapers for the babies." I think since that year, I have not given my mom another card for any other holiday.




All my life, my Mom has taught us that celebrations, holidays and gifts are not important to her. That she would rather have us all get along, do what she says and take care of each other. Those all sound pretty simple, but are in reality, very challenging for 6 siblings to comply. Even as we are all adults.

I learned to be this way too, and get very anxious when anybody wants to celebrate my birthday, give me cards of presents. I would prefer that the day goes unnoticed and quiet. I feel the same about Mother's day.


For Mother's day I ask for the same thing, for everybody around me to act like they don't feel forced to celebrate me. I'm not trying to say that Mothers are not important, and should not be valued; but that Mothers need to be adored 365 days a year, not just one day.

I was on the phone with my sister on Tuesday, and we talked about plans for eating on Mother's day. She suggested making Enchiladas, which everybody at home loves, but only Mom and I can make. "We can't have you both making us food for Your DAY!". I laugh and say "But that is what we both love to do, to take care of all of you! As long as you all help and don't get into any fights." She agreed to help and have my brothers and sister help.

This year for Mothers day, I'm only asking for everybody to get along and for my son to do what I ask him to do, because that is really all I want for Mothers Day.... and to run a half marathon.

Happy Mother's day!


Comments

  1. I love your outlook on this! I use to feel the same about Thanksgiving. why should we have just One day to be Thankful?? I do hope your son listens to you and you have a fabulous day. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right!! We should be thankful everyday! We have so many wonderful things, and we need to be more thankful for them!

      He did listen, but he kept pushing for what he wanted... like to eat cake instead of lunch!

      Delete
  2. My mom likes being treated special on Mother's Day so I am taking her and my SIL out for breakfast. But of course if she didn't like that I would do what she wanted. I know she doesn't like us spending a lot of money on her so I will prob get her something for her garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not opposed to treating Moms on Mother's day! but because I'm strange, I don't like it when others do it to me.

      What did you get your Mom for her garden?

      Delete
  3. Happy early Mother's Day! I take my mom out for breakfast or lunch almost every Sunday so this weekend won't be that different except we are going on Saturday because I think everywhere will be packed on Sunday! I offered to have a BBQ at my house on Sunday but she declined hahaha. That cracked me up for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina! I hope you and your mom had a great Saturday breakfast!!

      Delete
  4. You said what I was thinking but in a much kinder and gentler way. Ha ha my post is a little harsh. YES! I can't STAND Hallmark holidays!!!! They frustrate me so much. I have a great relationship with my mom and I don't have any negative memories revolving around holidays so it's not like that at all. I just don't like the hype and the pressure. Kinda drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you said it more poetically! I loved what you wrote... I meant to comment, but the mean man at work wanted me to run some reports!

      Delete
  5. My mom is the same way about Mother's Day. It's just another day to her. This is going to some judgmental, but I honestly don't understand adult moms who care so much about this holiday. I get enjoying it when your kids are little, especially if it's your first, but once your kids are older it seems a little weird to care too much about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't understand that either! Everyday with my son is a cause for celebration, I am lucky that he is healthy, and strong. That is all I need to celebrate each day as a mother.

      Delete

Post a Comment