TTLWH Book Club - My Marathon

Today I'm linking up with Wendy for the TTLWH book club, because this time I got to read the book!




I found the book My Marathon by Frank Shorter on the NPR book list. As soon as I saw the words Marathon, I knew this was going on my reading list. I made the request to my library and picked up two days later.

Reading about the physical, mental and emotional abuse towards him and his siblings was heartbreaking. I just kept asking myself how did the community that lived and glorify his father never knew about the abuse?

At times during the book, when Mr. Shorter talked about the exclusivity of running back in the days he was in college and high school, it made me feel inadequate. For me, it was when reading his words saying how the goal of some marathoners nowadays, is to finish, and not so much to wining it... That rubbed the wrong way. Maybe it was me reading it with a very critical eye, maybe I was feeling over sensitive, I do that sometimes.

My favorite part of the book was reading about him winning the gold medal in the Olympics. That had me at the edge of the mattress! I knew he was going to win, but the way he wrote it was so suspenseful.

I cried when reading the part where Prefontaine died, that hit me hard, mostly because I wasn't expecting it, and because of how Mr Shorter wrote it.

I enjoyed the book, but was really hoping to read more on how his life outside of running was, like how he squeezed going to law school and still manage 2 running workouts per day? But I understand that he is a professional runner and that his entire life was dedicated to running. Part of me mostly wanted the gossip on why his marriage ended....just because of my own curiosity.

I enjoyed the book and learning more about the last American to win a gold medal on the Olympic marathon. I recommend the book.



Comments

  1. Fascinating! Now I want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought his comments about modern day marathoners were a little unsettling too. I always think that finishing is winning!

    Thanks for linking up! And for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book too but also gave major side eye to his comments about modern day marathoners. Working hard doesn't have to mean training to win. I guess he comes from a different era.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment