My Favorite Books This Year

Last week, NPR released their Best Books of 2016, or as they call it NPR Book Concierge . I imagine myself the Director of a Library and picking books to purchase for the collection and wish to add them ALL!

This year I didn't read as much as other years, turns out Marathon Training takes a lot of time! But here are some of my favorite books that I found this year.

Before I start, I'll tell you that my preference for books varies, but right now my favorites are funny autobiographies by comedians.

Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple. This book is funny, crazy funny. I identified with Bernadette very much, and could not put it down. This book is everything, funny, a mystery and a look at how we treat others who are not exactly like ourselves.



Fosse by Sam Wasson - I picked this up in a whim... the library had nothing I wanted available, and I desperately needed something to listen to. So I started on Fosse and was hooked! This was one of the few books that I listened to during my long run, I just needed to know what crazy ideas he was going to have next.



The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah- In the last 3 years I have read more WWII books than in all my life. I kept seeing this book in different list, so I went for it. This book takes you through the life of 2 sisters living in occupied France at the time of WWII. I listened to this book through the Elections, and cried when I finished it. Part was that it felt so scary to think of the election results and part was that the book ended very sadly. I sobbed... in the middle of my run... in the middle of the park, with nobody else around.



Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae- This book reminded me of being n High School and trying to fit in, where I was never going to fit in. The stories of going to TJ Maxx and trying to find something that looked similar to what everybody was wearing... and realizing that the clothes wouldn't make a difference.



Conviction: The Untold Story of Putting Jodi Arias Behind Bars by Juan Martinez. I wasn't expecting to like this book, but it got me hooked in the first chapter. I didn't follow her trial while it was happening, but reading about it was addicting.
 

Special Mention- My son and I read the entire Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Parks. It is such an amazing series for kids, if you have kids, check it out! She is never boring, and she always has a lesson to teach kids. My favorite book of hers is Junie B Jones is a Beauty Shop Guy. I couldn't stop laughing while reading this book.

I had a goal to read/listen to 85 books this year, but around September, I realized that it was not going to happened and lowered it to 65. I'm making my way through 3 other books right now, and I still hope to hit that 65.
 
What great books did you read this year?
Did you have a reading goal on books?
What type of book do you prefer? Mysteries, biographies, classics?
Have you checked out the NPR book list?
 
 

Comments

  1. You read SIXTY FIVE NOOKS IN ONE YEAR!?!?!?! I can't even read six! Or five! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, please don't be impressed. Physically, I only READ about 20, the rest were audiobooks.

      Audibooks are the glue that hold me together at work. I'm sitting here doing audits, and listening to books. My brain needs three things going at the same time to focus.. if I would have gone to school in USA, I would have been diagnosed with ADD.

      Delete
  2. I did a lot of reading this summer! I discovered an author I like- Alafair Burke. I read that Jodi Arias book, in fact I own it. ;) I have a slight obsession with her. I can't believe you read 65 books! I echo Suzy- HOW!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look up Alafair Burke. I remember about your obsession with Ms. Arias, I think that's where I got the curiosity to read the book.

      Delete
  3. there is cowboy romances? When I was little my mom used to read Cowboy / western Graphic novels and after she finished them, she would let me read them. They were raunchy, but she didn't care.. until I started to ask her weird questions, then she cut me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 65 books in a year. I'm so very impressed. I think it's a lot if I get 10. I really need to stop watching TV. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing these! I've had no motivation to read for some reason - I usually love reading! I'm going to add these to my list and try to get back into the habit in 2017!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment