I Am Not in The mood to come up with a tittle

I know it's Friday and I had a different post ready for today, but my heart is not ready to go back to normal as scheduled. Another school shooting happened on February 14, and 17 people are dead. Mass shootings, as common as they are, still hit me hard, but school shootings are extra difficult to deal with.

On Thursday, I couldn't stop thinking about those families and their loss, but I was also selfish and kept thinking about my own son going to school, and my friends who are teachers.

On my way to lunch, I was playing happy music, trying to lift my mood. I called my niece to wish her a happy birthday during my lunch. I spoke to her for about 30 seconds, and that lifted my mood for a little bit. Then Roger called me, to tell me that we needed to consider buying a bullet proof book pack for my son, and my heart couldn't hold the tears anymore.

I cried all the way back to work, devastated to think that this is our current reality, a world in which we have to consider sending our kids to school with a bullet proof book pack. Bullet proof book pack. Bullet proof book pack. It doesn't even sounds like something that is real.

I have called my senators, and my representatives, but I also know that there are more senators and congressmen who are in the pocket of the NRA. So I feel helpless and angry.

When I picked up my son, I held him extra tight, and extra long, I might have also let him have dessert before dinner. His is my world and he is my life, if anybody would ever hurt him... I don't even know what I would do, but I know it would not be possible for me to survive it.

This is my blog, and my little space of the web. So if for one day I don't speak about running, or hiking, or whatever other random things, that's fine, because my heart is not ready to ignore our children, teachers, coaches, principals and other school administrators are being killed, in what should be a safe space.

We need Gun Control Now.

Comments

  1. I know what you mean. It's to the point where I can't watch the news for a few days to a week after as I can't hear about the details. So instead of all the ickyness, go read my post about my kitties. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I will go check out your post!

      Delete
  2. It is so sad every time we have news like this and it keeps happening again and again. And still our government doesn't do anything. One of the things I've heard is that we have to keep advocating with our state representatives too. If the federal government can't or won't act, we can try to get our state governments to act instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Remember back when we had a threat about liquids, computers and shoes for airplanes and we now have to take off our shoes, throw our out water and scan our computers? The same consideration needs to be given to a gun ban!

      Delete
  3. It is sickening, Ana. After Sandy Hook, I cleared out space in my cupboards so I would have room to hide children. I couldn't hide a whole class, but I could hide some. Isn't that disgusting to think about? I keep my classroom door locked ALL THE TIME. I think about a school shooter multiple times a day- and that was before FL.

    I am very fucking angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disgusting that this is what we have to live each day! As a teacher, how does the thought of having a gun on you to protect the kids make you feel? I know that is something that the NRA is always throwing around, "if the teachers had guns" idea sounds insane to me... but I'm anti-gun.

      Delete
  4. This is such a sad situation and even sadder that it has become such a common occurrence. I don't know why people make such bad choices. What is wrong with them? Your son is so lucky to have you for a mama Ana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a horrible situation!! People making terrible choices should not have access to the weapons they do! it is terrifying to think that they have more access to weapons, than should be allowed.

      Delete

Post a Comment