A Day In The Life- A Day At Work

It has been a while since I did a Day In The Life Post... mostly because I overshare.




7:00- 8:30- We meet for a few minutes every morning to review any big events happening at work that day. From the moment I arrive, I'm pulling information from the state system. We enroll new participants two days per week, this was an enrollment day.

At this time, I also make my oatmeal. I am not hungry when I first wake up, but my body needs breakfast. I eat Wegmans Organic maple spice oatmeal, that is the only flavor I like.




9:30- I started to work on another task. For every participant that comes to our program, activities and hours need to be tracked. Today I added activities to their state profile, while I waited for the paperwork from new enrollments.

10:00- 11:30- Most of my Mondays (in this case Tuesday), my morning are in a tight schedule. The instructor is supposed to have the paperowork for new enrollments to me by 10, but today he got distracted and didn't get them to me until 10:10. Luckily, there were not many new people and it didn't cause a huge disruption to the schedule.... I live by my schedule!

** Side note- I could never be an instructor. That job requires for the staff member to stand and talk to people ALL DAY LONG! to me, that sounds exhausting. So I very much appreciate the brave souls who like being instructors.**

I complete the enrollment list, which tells the case managers the basic information they need for each of their new participants. I also enroll the participants in our internal computer system, and send the state office an attendance report. 

Between this, I eat my yogurt. Back in October, I switched to Fage yogurt from Chobani. I really liked Chobani for a while, and their support of the refugee population, but they changed something in their recipe and it tastes weird now. But I LOVE Fage!! it's so creamy and smooth!




Through the day, I get interrupted for questions about every 20 minutes. My work doesn't take long to complete, but having to start and stop takes a lot of my concentration and focus. So every time I get distracted, it takes me about 5-10 minutes to get back to my work. 

Things that I get interrupted for 

* Questions about the program

* Specific policies and questions on how to get around them 

* Translations/ interpreting

* Questions from my co-supervisor on how to do something 

11:30-1:30 - I worked on my other data entry and have coffee. 

I spend most of my morning eating slowly. I eat lunch after 1:30 because it works best for my schedule and for running. If I am running after work, I eat at 2:30, so I won't be hungry by 5:30. 

1:30- I complete the enrollments on the state system and inform the case managers, so they can complete their part. 

2:00- 4:00 I had 13 file audits due to the regional supervisor, that were going to the state after her. 

I had to push my lunch until the audits were done, or I would not be able to enjoy my food. After 3 cups of coffee and an empty stomach, my body was ready for food. 

4:00-4:15- Lunch 

I rarely skip lunch, and it's even more rare for me to only take 15 minutes, but I still had to finish uploading the audits and completing a summary report. 

4:15-4:30- Uploaded all the audits, completed final report and sent emails to inform supervisors that the work was done..... they don't like if it I don't email them to say that the audits are done, even though they get a notification saying they are done. 

4:30- I worked on a transportation report for the State Office. They emailed me at 1:00, demanding  Asking for the report by the end of the day. I was half delirious of looking at numbers and names, so I'm not 100% sure of what I sent them. 

5:00 - Freedom! 

For most of the day, I was listening to an audiobook. They help me to stay focused, because my brain needs 2 different task at the same time to focus. 




I was inside from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm and was very irritated at having had to spent the whole day inside. So, after I picked up my son, we went for ice cream. It was delicious and very well earned!



Comments

  1. That ice cream looks delicious! It definitely annoys me when I have to spend the day inside if it's nice out. I've been trying to get lunch time walks when it's a nice day out and that definitely helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing!!! I want to go back for another one!!

      Lunch walks are the perfect way to spend time outside!

      Delete
  2. 1. I love oversharing. I am VERY NOSY about people's day to day lives so I Day in the Life posts. :)

    2. You have to be at work at SEVEN AM!!??

    3. Why do you eat organic oatmeal?

    4. Teachers live by a schedule too! And I LOVE a schedule. I don't think I'd do well at a job without one. I'd have to implement my own to be effective. I'm sure this is just from years of needing to operate this way, you know?

    5. How in the world do you listen to a book and do work? I cannot do that! I even had to pause CNN to read this blog post and type a comment!

    6. How often can you get up and walk around at work on a normal day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Thanks! I love to overshare!

      2. Yup! 7 to 5. It's annoying, but I get every other Friday off, that makes it easier to handle.

      3. I eat organic oatmeal, because it's the only flavor I like. I tried 4 other types, but they were too sweet or too bland. This one brand was just perfect.

      4. Schedules keep my life together.

      5. My brain needs to multi task to stay focused... it's just how my brain works.

      6. I get up and walk every 45 minutes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for answering all of my nosy questions. :) Do you get a whole hour for lunch? Would you rather work straight through the hour and be done early? Are you allowed to do that?

      Delete
    3. I get 30 minutes.. and I see now that I gave you my wrong schedule. I work 7:30-5. We are not allowed to leave early, or to skip lunch. The company believes on having a proper balance, and they believe that in order for an employee to be productive, one has to take that lunch to keep the brain alert.

      Delete

Post a Comment