Firday Five- Holidays 2017

Happy Friday!! How is your day going?




I'm Linking up with the Friday five 2.0 ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy .

I debated with myself on whether to post this or not... if you are reading this, it must mean I just went with it, either because I'm tired of pretending I'm handling the holidays fine, or because I'm too tired to come up with a brand new five holiday happy things to post.

Every year, I try to make my holidays less stressful and more full of joy and warm and fuzzy things that the holidays are about. This year, I failed at keeping myself together and I gave into the anxiety and just lost it one night. As I drove around town erratically, crying and singing loudly to whatever song was playing on the radio, I made a promise to myself to do more to take care of myself in the next few days. Here are 5 things I am doing to give myself a break and take care of myself. 

1. Doing my nails- I love painting my own nails and sitting still and quiet until they dry. This simple papering allows me,  forces me to sit down and just wait. I'm thinking a nice and bright red with sparkly glitter will be perfect for the holidays. 


My nails for  4th of July from 2013

2. Sleep-the boxes of gifts that still need wrapped, the cookies that need baked, the clothes that need to get packed... all of it can wait until I've had at least 6.5 hours of sleep. No task will get done if this mom doesn't get her sleep. 




3. Eat my meals - When the days at the office get long, and  the work just HAS TO GET DONE before leaving for the long holiday weekend, I have in the past skipped my lunch to finish those reports or audits. But I have learned that if I don't eat, my brain stops functioning properly. I have to eat and drink my water, or the hunger will make my brain make mistakes. Same goes for long days of holiday gatherings... skipping meals makes me cranky and unpleasant. 





4. Listen to music that makes me happy, and it doesn't have to be Christmas songs- This has been a rule for me since I was 13. I like Christmas music just as much as anybody, but I can't take it all the time for 1 whole month, I just can't. I will listen to anything that makes my heart happy, without having to force anything. 

5. Keep it simple- December 25th, when everything is quiet, the most important thing will become that I have my family, that they are healthy and that we have each other no matter what. Nobody is going to remember if I baked the chocolate chip cookies or if I bought them at the store, or if I bought the exact gift that somebody wanted... the only thought going through my mind will be 1. I wonder how many tamales I can take with me? and 2. I wonder which Dunkin donuts is open now? 

I wish you and your entire family a wonderful and safe Holiday, and a Merry Christmas (If you celebrate it, if you don't, enjoy the awesome long weekend!)!! Stay awesome ! 





Comments

  1. There's always a lot of anxiety at this time of year :( Sorry to hear it's been a tough one. Definitely prioritize taking care of yourself! Doing my nails always feels nice and pamper-y to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know why this year was harder, it simply felt more stressful than other years.

      Delete
  2. I'm all about listening to upbeat and happy songs during this time of year as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy songs are always in style@

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry the anxiety got to you! Was it that night you had to run out to get coffee and a cake and stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, no ! that night I was my most put together! went out, got my things and went back home. My anxiety started on Monday and by Tuesday I was a big ball of crying mess. It just felt like nothing was going according to plan, and like I was falling apart and I gave in to the tears and the meltdown.

      Delete
  4. It's a crazy time for everyone, too many details! I love your thoughts on doing your own nails ;-) I do my own nails, too (or sometimes the younger daughter does them for me). It's relaxing, and it's a forced "still" time....something that (I think) everyone could benefit from. I hope you have a nice, relaxing Christmas and a great New Year. (and, PS, mucho thanks for the card and Starbucks stuff!!!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing my nails!!

      I'm so glad that you got the card on time, I chased down the mail woman to take it!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and your family! You are so right! Family is so important and always there for each other! I like painting my nails as well, but they chip so easily. My sister did get me a gel nail kit that is suppose to last longer. I am excited to try one on these night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you use a clear coat to seal them? That makes them last longer, I bought a clear top coat from Sinful Colors and that made my nail color last for over 10 days! it was amazing! and the best part, it only cost $2!

      Delete
  6. Oh girl, I hope you're feeling better. Holidays shouldn't be stressful, they should be fun. It's SO easy to get swept up in the "have tos" and the "to do lists" and all the STUFF. Definitely take time for yourself. Do your nails. I'll do mine, too. Cheers, mama. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You are so right!! the holidays are definitely the most stressful time of the year! but they are almost over!

      Delete
  7. Yep, I don't listen to Christmas music much. I don't know why, but I like to keep some things regular during the holidays. I also do love keeping up with my workout routine. No matter what happens, if I do that, everything else falls into place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, keeping a work out routine is an excellent way to stay focused. I have schedule most of my workouts this month and that is one thing that keeps me motivated.

      Delete

Post a Comment