My Favorite Books of 2017

It has been an amazing year in books! I have found many amazing books this year, and exceeded my reading goals for the year.




At the beginning of 2017, I set a goal of reading 60 books and to read more books written by women, and by people of color. And on the way to that, I found amazing books that took me out of my comfort zone and taught me a lot. And I read 74 books (To date, still reading 2 more) and found amazing books by different authors. 




Today I'm linking up with Jana and Steph for Show Us Your Books to review my favorite books of the year. 




Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

I didn't grow up in the USA, so I didn't learn about Bruce Springsteen until 2001, and I didn't learn anything about his career or life, until I read his book. And his book was amazing! He is an amazing writer, this book was fantastic. 




Before I fall by Laren Oliver

I know I was very late to reading this book, but when I found it, I couldn't put it down. This book is a story of a girl who dies in a car accident, then the next day she wakes up to re-live the same day, this happens over and over until she understands what she needs to do to get her day right. I enjoyed the writing and the story, and still think about the book. I had to yet see the movie for it. 




Marathon Woman by Kathrine Switzer

I have read a few books on running, but this one was an amazing one. The story of the first woman to "officially" run the Boston Marathon, and her career into running other major marathons and starting the Avon Races. All of that sprinkled with what was happening in her personal life was she was the best part. The book was very well written and it was very inspiring. 




In The Country We Love by Diane Guerrero
I read this book as the dismantling of the Dream Act was happening, and it brought home the point of how much an immigration reform is needed. The story of Diane Guerrero and the stress her family had to live through, and the emotional journey of losing her parents through deportation. It was an amazing book, highly recommended. 




The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
This is another book that is highly relevant. The story reminded me of the Treyvon Martins' trials and how the news tried to discredit his friend as a witness. This book is a must read for anybody! 




I am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika Sanchez
There is not enough books about Mexican women/girls growing up in the USA! This book was so refreshing, I related to so many things she wrote, from hating Mana (Boo to Mana, they suck) to thinking people from Mexico City eat weird food. I needed this book in my life!



One Of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus
This was the most suspenseful book of the year for me, and a different set up than other books. This book made me question my own morals, and it kept me at the edge of my chair. 




The Julian Chapter By RJ Palacio
I was not expecting to like this book, especially because it was an add on to Wonder, and Julian was the meanest boy in the book. But I found myself feeling all the feels while reading this book. I was angry, upset, annoyed, and heartbroken... I cried so hard at the end of the book! All good signs of a good book. 




Refugee by Alan Grants

I just finished this book last week, and it destroyed me. This is the story of three refugees trying to escape conflict, from three different time lines. A boy trying to escape Nazi Germany, a girl escaping Cuba, and a boy escaping Syria. This story needs to be read by more people! 

Surprisingly, I didn't read Harry Potter again this year, I started #2, but didn't finish it. 

My list for 2018 right now includes books by Hillary Clinton, the Autobiography of Malcolm X, and more books from my Amazon 100 books to read in a Lifetime. 

What amazing books did you read this year? 




Comments

  1. The Hate U Give was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hate U Give made it to my list too. I really enjoyed Before I fall and the movie was pretty good too. I want to read I Am Not Your Mexican Daughter and In the Country We Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to catch the Before you Fall movie soon! that was the reason I read the book, to watch the movie.

      Delete
  3. I love this list. My reading started off great at the beginning of the year. And I have to admit I haven't read a book since this summer. I did just order one that I am excited to read, so hopefully that will get me back into the habit. There are a bunch of these that I will be adding to my list. Thanks for the thoughts on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get focused on reading again, but a really good book can fix that! I want to see which books you like!

      Delete
  4. Bruce was my 11th so he didn't make it. I freaking love him and his book is true to everything I know about him.

    Waiting for Mexican Daughter (I think I got that rec from you in the last linkup) and One of Us is Lying from the library. Love seeing The Hate U Give on here - I also set out to read more books by women of color this year, and two made my favorite list and were the ones that made me think the hardest and feel the most. I need more books like that in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so important to read more books other than the white male perspective!! I have learned that this year and I'm grateful that I took that challenge, and hope to continue it.

      THUG was amazing!! everybody needs to read it!

      Delete
  5. I love how many of us have THUG on our lists. Such an amazing book.

    I thoroughly enjoyed One of Us Is Lying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THUG deserves all the accolades and recommendations! such a great book!

      One of US is Lying shook me!!

      Delete
  6. I would like to try the Julian book because I did love Wonder.

    I HAD Mexican Daughter and it was due back before I could read it. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Julian Chapter was so good, I didn't think I would enjoy it, but it surprised me.

      Delete
  7. i couldn't put before i fall down either, but overall i was disappointed in it :( i loved the hate u give, and one of us is lying is on my kindle! glad to hear it's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were parts of Before I Fall that were hard to get through, and I kept hoping that the ending would be different, and it hunted me for a while.

      Delete
  8. I thought Before I Fall was GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was fantastic!! Did you hope for a different ending?

      Delete
  9. Before I Fall sounds really good. I'm going to get that from Frederickson if I can today! I love books/movies where you have to redo a day. Happy Death Day was a comedy/horror movie and it had that concept- it was HILARIOUS. She had to relive her day to try not to die and find out who's trying to kill her! It was not gory- thank goodness- because I don't like gore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried you might not like it... I think you don't like YA books, I could be wrong. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  10. Great list! That's so impressive that you read so many books this year. I think I'm going to go with the Sonia Sotomayor book as my next one. I definitely want to read more books written by women and people of color as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good book!! I loved her story! I limited myself to 2 books by white males per month, it's difficult because the market is saturated with white male books, but there are so many amazing women and POC books !

      Delete
  11. I still need to read The Hate U Give and The Julian Chapter. But yes, I LOVED Refugee. Everyone needs to read it.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refugee was heartbreaking! I found myself screaming at the book at so many parts! I told my family that I'm not allowed to complain anymore about anything.

      Delete
  12. The Hate U Give is on my TBR. So is I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter and One of Us is Lying. I love that you set a goal to read more books by women if color. I need to make the same commitment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much encourage you to make the commitment to more books by women and People of Color, so many more perspectives and ideas!

      Delete
  13. I read a lot more diversely last year (weird to say that, lol) too and really came across so many amazing books. One Of Us Was Lying was so good- I really enjoyed all of the characters and didn't figure out the ending in advance, which kept the suspense going until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your reading goal to read more books by women and people of color. That's so fantastic. I sadly got The Hate U Give from the library (twice) but wasn't able to get to it before returning. BOO! I will read it this year for sure. One of Us is Lying is on my list. I don't do a ton of suspense, but I think it sounds fantastic. I have Before I Fall on my shelf and am excited about it. I am not your perfect mexican daughter is high on my list for 2018 as well. Refugee sounds like it will rip me apart, but would also be an important read. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment