Virginia Beach a No Go

Aaaahh... Good morning ! Last night I received an email from Rock and Roll organizers, giving the option to get a refund or a transfer for the VB Rock 'n Roll race, because of the State Of Emegency in Virginia recommended for people to avoid travel on Saturday, due to the tropical storm. 

I weighted my options. Canceling the hotel was an option. 

Chances were that Sunday would be clear, but getting there Saturday was going to be a difficult. So I asked myself, is it worth to volunteeraly put myself in the path of a tropical storm? Was it worth it for a Half Marathon? My heart felt heavy, I've been training for this all summer, and it would leave me with nothing to do for the weekend. 

But then I also realized that I have Bird In Hand Half next week, and Philadelphia Rock 'n Roll half the week after, so my training will not be wasted. 

With those thoughts fresh in my head I pressed cancel on the hotel, and transfer on The Half Marathon. 

While I know I made the right decision, but I kept second guessing my choice and feeling sad that I won't be doing the half this Sunday. 

Does it count as a DNS if there was a tropical storm on the way? 




Comments

  1. I swear I commented on this on my phone! Freaking phone! I will learn how to use it someday. :)

    I am sorry the weather got in the way of your plans! Did you ever DNS before? I used to DNS all the time, now I just don't sign up for anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've DNS before. This is my 3rd. The first I didn't plan for somebody to watch my son, I had planned to bribe him with a toy to run with me. The second one, I got sick the day before and had a fever for 5 days.

      I'm just feeling so bummed ! I keep thinking I made the wrong decision, and I'm just in a bad mood now.

      Maybe I'll run the distance tomorrow, so that I can feel like I did something.

      Delete
  2. I know the weather is fine there now and the race went off without a hitch (i'm sure i'll get more details when my sister crosses the finish line), BUT you don't know what traveling down there would have been like. I know they lost power for a good bit of time and everything on the boardwalk/ocean front was boarded up, and the concert was moved to the convention center. So look at it this way, even if you did decide to go, you wouldn't have had the experience you thought you would because of all the changes. Try again next year when everything is back to normal! You have some great races coming up and I'm sure you'll be less stressed about them cus they are closer to home (at least that's how I usually feel)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Lacey had a great race! I saw videos and pictures from it, and it seemed like all went well.

      The hardest part was getting in there on Saturday, and dealing with any issues on the road. I'll plan it better next time!

      Delete
  3. That stinks about the storm this year. Typically that is a very hot race! I think the decision to not go was good. Our forecast kept changing by the hour literally.
    That is great you have two halfs coming that are closer to home :) I hope you get good weather for both!! You earned it after this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! It seems we are on track for 80 degree weather for Saturday, so I hope you are right!

      did you travel to MD?

      That's the thing with storms, one can't guess what path it will be taking !

      Delete
  4. You made the right decision. I have other friends in the same boat as you, second guessing their decision not to go. But what you did was good. It's nice to see that RnR gave the option to refund or defer. Here's to looking to the next race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very difficult decision, and I was very sad on Saturday Morning. But it's all on the past now.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Did they not cancel the race completely? That surprises me. I don't think I'd count this as a DNS because of the logistics involved and the possibility of the race being canceled anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO, the race was not cancelled. The storm was to be gone by Sunday Morning, but there were travel restrictions on Saturday, when the storm would be at its haviest.

      Delete

Post a Comment