SUYB July 2018

Happy Show Us Your Books Tuesday! Today I'm linking up with Jana and Steph for Show Us Your Books.



July and August have been very stressful months at work, that always sets me back on books. I also picked up some books to read with my son.



Harry Potter and the Order Of the Phoenix and Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling




My son and his Dad (my Ex-husband ) have been reading this book for almost 1 year, I have read the entire series multiple times and convinced my sister and Roger to read it too. Because of that, we have conversations about the series and the books and have accidentally revealed spoilers. I decided that I couldn't wait for my son to finish this book and we got the audiobook, it helps keep him off devices during long drives and gets him up to speed on the book.

I, of course, love Harry Potter and have very much enjoyed re-reading Harry Potter again. I find something new every single time.

The Wide Window, The Miserable Mill, and The Austere Academy  by Lemony Snicket (Dan Handler)




My son wanted to try a different series, and we gave this a shot. But we didn't like it. The story on each book is the exact same. The writing is clever, but I find myself getting bored with it.

I did read Daniel Handler's Why We Broke Up last year, and really enjoyed it. And it was really funny when he made reference to it in one of the books.

Como Agua Para Chocolate by Laura Esquivel




I read this book in English years ago, and really enjoyed it. This time I listened to it in Spanish and I'm sorry to tell you this, but the book is 10 times better in Spanish. A lot of things get lost in translation.

The Perks Of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky




I loved this book when I read it for the first time years ago. It had all the teen angst that I enjoy, but now that I have more books written by women, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time. It did make me want to see the movie again, because Ezra Miller and Emma Watson are so awesome!!



The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin




I picked this up as part of the library summer reading program, as it needed a "self help" book. It wasn't my favorite, it feels I've read all of her approaches in other books. And I found that her accompanying stories to be boring and distracting.
I'm thinking that once I finish Harry Potter, I will be in the mood to read other books again, for now Harry, Hermione and Ron have all my attention.

Comments

  1. Bummer about Gretchen's Book! I do love her podcast though, have you listened to it at all? I feel like they mention the book so often in the podcast that if I read the book, it will be all stuff I heard before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read so many other popular self help books, that it feels the message is similar across the board... do things that you like, be nice to people and enjoy the little things... I should write my own self help book. I will check out her Podcast, I think you mentioned it on your blog before.

      Delete
    2. I loved Wallflower. I read it for the first time as an adult and wish I would have read it in my teens.

      Delete
    3. I should clarify that I still loved Wallflower and its angst, a really great book! I identify with Charlie in some ways.

      Delete
  2. i haven't read the happiness project but i have it on my audible app so i'm sure i'll get to it one day. i'll try and keep my expectations low lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have read other popular self help books, this one is similar.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you didn't love The Happiness Project; I really enjoyed it. I'm re-reading the second HP books right now in the illustrated format. So beautiful!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were looking at the illustrated version at the bookstore! and you are right, it is so gorgeous !

      Delete
  4. I need to read Wallflower. I never have.

    I totally get why you feel that way about Gretchen Rubin. She admits that she's boring, which I guess helps me when I'm reading one of her books. Her privilege, and lack of acknowledging it at times, gets under my skin more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! You nailed it! That is what I kept thinking while reading her book! how can you be unhappy when you have so much to be grateful for! You get me Jana!

      Delete
  5. HARRY POTTER! I try to reread HP every year. It just makes me happy to spend some time with Harry, Hermione and Ron. I thought the Happiness Project was okay. I read it a couple of years ago and it felt like much of what she shared wasn't revolutionary and maybe that's because it's an older book. And I agree with what you and Jana said about Rubin. It's a major problem with a lot of self-help gurus, especially those who are more sharing their stories versus trained professionals. Their stories, perspectives are still valuable but many are also fairly privileged so "fixing" their broken parts can be simple for them because they have money or opportunity that others don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant tell you how long Ive been saying I need to read perks of being a wallflower. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower for the first time a couple years ago. It was one of those books that stayed with me long after I had finished it. I've often thought that I'd like to reread it, but I know my experience will be different this time around due to many factors. Enjoy Harry, Ron, and Hermione!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to re-read Harry Potter for ages. :) I always wonder how many things get lost in translation... bummer! But glad you enjoyed the Spanish version! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry Potter never disappoints! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so so so craving a HP re-read and I think I will get to it this fall. Especially from book 4 on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment