Meet The New Ana

On my Weekly Review earlier this week, I mentioned that I got a letter that I have been waiting for since last August. Well, that letter was the letter informing me of my Citizenship Oath date and time.

My Naturalization (for Citizenship) Oath Ceremony took place on Thursday, April 19th.

With this comes a name change for me. As of this date, I will become Ana Soto, finally leaving my married name behind.

Ana Willshier was a great woman, but Ana Willshier lived scared for almost 7 years. I was scared of so many things, to be alone, to be wrong, to be weak, to hurt, to be disliked. So, I over compensated for everything and turned stone cold mean to hide the fear.

Maybe I'm getting off topic, but this has become a very emotional change for my life. As I was thinking of the meaning of this huge change, I think of all the work that I have put on getting to this moment.

I originally filled out my application in 2006, but I was scared, of the test, of the fee, of losing myself. But I didn't realized I was already losing myself in those moments.

I saw each of my family become a citizen, Sister #3, Dad, Sister #4, Brothers, Mom. and I was still scared.

In 2012 I left my husband and started to leave some fears behind, I started finding myself and finding more power on being my own self.

In the following years, I was just comfortable and happy. Then in 2016, the presidential elections shook me out of my comfort and I had to face those other fears that I was hiding from and just jump in to the process of becoming a Citizen for the Country I call home. Nobody was going to kick me out of here!

My application was filed in December of 2016. My Test was in August of 2017 and my citizenship oath was today. As of right now, I am Ana Soto.

Ana Soto was also a great woman, one who wasn't afraid of things... but that Ana Soto was young and immature. This Ana Soto will know so much more about the world... the joys, the happiness, the courage and rewards that come from facing fears, and at the same time, Ana Soto will always thank Ana Willshier for leaving a bad marriage, for finding the courage to raise a boy and trying her very best to do all she could for him, for filing that citizenship application and taking a step to making it know that I am here to stay.

The world better be ready, because this Ana is not afraid of everything anymore. This Ana is a Citizen of the United States of America.

Comments

  1. This made me cry. <3 I'm so glad you are an unafraid Ana Soto! And I am so glad you are here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You are too kind!

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful. I'm so happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Ana Soto on becoming who you are today!!! I can't wait to see what's next for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Ana! What a huge step!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment