Rock and Roll DC Half Marathon 2018

Race Details

Cost : $60 (Registered during National Running Day Sale)
Goodies : Woman's cut Brooks tech shirt, plastic drawstring bag, coupons, samples, snacks and water at the finish line.
Weather: 34 degrees F ( 1.11 C), 10 mph winds in some parts, sunny.
What I wore : lined leggings, lined long sleeve shirt, running hat, and throwaway windbreaker.



Roger and I have ran this race for the last two years. This is an excellent race to set a goal for a PR, because the first half of the course is mostly flat, there is a steep hill at mile 6, and after that is gentle rolling hills (Please note that I live in PA, my definition of "gentle rolling hills" is biased).

This is a Rock 'n' Roll event, and of all the races I do, this is the one with the BEST cheering crowds through most of the race, and also excellent course support. This race takes runners through beautiful sections of Washington, runners get to see The White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, run along the Potomac River, Howard University, The Capitol, NPR and beautiful sections of DC.




I didn't really have a goal to PR my time, because I didn't put in enough speed work, or hill traning, in fact I went into this race, knowing my time would be slower. I was thinking around 2:03 or so.


I started out at my goal pace and kept it for about 6 miles. The hill at mile 6 destroyed me this year, and I was disappointed that I couldn't run the whole hill.

Years ago, I bought a light windbreaker for my first *snowy/slushy* run. I had a lot of memories with this jacket, but I recently bought a new one. So around mile 3, it was time to let this jacket go. Because I'm a reformed hoarder, I thanked the jacket for everything it had done for me, for all the running that it helped me through and abandoned the jacket at an aid station at mile 4. 

Around mile 8, I started to feel a blister on the side of my right food. It made me very angry, but I kept pushing through. Have you ever seen those running surveys that ask "Would you rather run with a blister or with a side cramp?" .... I had both my mile 10. I stopped for a brief walking break, still within my goal time, but knew that I was going to have to push a little the last 3 miles. 

I got rid of the side cramp, and did everything in me to ignore the pain from the blister. When we ran from NPR, I blew them a kiss, as if they were my actual friends coming to see me race. I LOVE YOU NPR!!! and I especially LOVE YOU, STEVE INSKEEP ! XOXO!! 

I got really hot at mile 11, and considered taking off my long sleeve, but didn't. I lifted it all the way past my boobs, to at least give those girls some breathing space. 

At my first sight of the finish line, I dug deep to try to finish the last of the race. But my blister started screaming at me again. I wobbled to the finish at 2:02 and some change. 

After grabbing all the snacks, I headed to bag check to get my change of clothes and wait for Roger. 

Roger had a goal to come in under 2 hours. Roger's best time in a half marathon is about 2:21. But he has been training to beat his time. When I found Roger a little while later, he was mad. He hadn't met his goal, and he was swearing off running forever. 



I love this race, and will likely run it again next year. 


Comments

  1. Steve Inskeep is hot!

    Omg I would rather run with a blister than a side stitch. I CANNOT run through a sides stitch but for me, blisters get to the point where they hurt so bad that it's numb. Does that make sense?

    You did a very good job predicting your time!

    Tell Roger not to swear off running! We all have bad days! If we quit every time we had a bad day we would be quitting all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make sense! to me they feel like they are the size of an orange... even when they are tiny.

      I had to walk away from him at first, he wasn't in a good mood and he just needs to cool off before I say anything. He did come around after a little bit, but he was mad!!

      Steve Inskeep is the George Clooney of public radio.

      Delete
  2. I'd rather run with a side stitch as I can usually work that out with different breathing and poking my side. Glad you had a good race. It's one that I'd like to do at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right! A side stitch is easier to fix.

      It's an awesome race, let me know if you do it, we will likely be back next year.

      Delete
  3. Great job on coming in under your goal. That had to feel great! I become overly attached to my clothes and don't know if I could give up my long used jacket so easily! Good for you for not becoming a hoarder...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel great, but I still beat myself up about stoping at the hill. I wanted to run through the hill.

      I had already put that jacket on my Goodwill pile, because I bought a new one. But it was still emotional to say goodbye... I am working on my hoarding tendencies.

      Delete
  4. STEVE INSKEEP! I have been in love with him for many years too :).

    I would rather try and run with a side stitch than a blister. When I have a blister I just want to rip off my foot and leave it on the side of the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love the way he laughs? It makes my day when he laughs!!

      Yes!! I have wanted to rip off my foot too! you get me !

      Delete
  5. I would love to run this race! Congrats on that 2:02 and with a blister and side stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come and do it!! let me know if you do, we are going to keep doing this race.

      Delete

Post a Comment