Friday Five - Selena Forever

Happy Friday! how is your day going? We are currently wrapping up a week of Spring Break, and trying to find a warm spot on the sun.

My week has been stressful and full of work, and my time was used on cathing up on everything... work, laundry, work, dishes... I didn't find time to write anything.

Anyway, this weekend as in many other years before, We will be remembering Selena. Back in 1993 I was obsessed with Selena, with her songs, what she wore, how she danced. Sadly, in 1995 she was murdered. This of course, cemented her legacy as the Mexican American Icon for many in the Latin@ generations.

So today, in Friday Five Format, I give you my 5 favorite Selena songs. I just want it to be know, that Selena is my icon, my role model and who I want to be when I really grow up... any day now!

No Debes Jugar- This song is super catchy, and if you were not paying attention, one would think this is just a catchy song to dance to, but no. This song is a demand, and a "stop acting like a jerk or else" anthem. She says, "stop playing with me, I'm not your toy, how are you going to like it when I say goodbye, and leave."  And by the way, I buy sheer shirts just because she wore sheer shirts.... I have more than it should be allowed.



Dondequiera Que Estes - This song was my jam in 8th grade! I wore this CD out. I liked that this song was a different type  of music of what she typically sang, but because she had an amazing voice, she still owned this song. Also, side note I learned this entire choreography when I was 13.


 

Bidi Bidi Bom Bom- This has been a favorite forever !! This was likely her second song that I learned and the one that I still love listening to. It's like this song never gets old. And by the way, Bibi Bibi Bom Bom doesn't mean anything, the song just says that's how her heart beats when she sees the boy she has a crush on.

.

Baila Esta Cumbia- This song will make anybody dance and happy! there is just so much joy in it.





Como La Flor- I can't help it. Whenever I hear this song I cry. This song talks about letting go of love that is not there anymore, but how it really hurt to let go. 


 

Happy Friday! I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday. 




Comments

  1. I have listened to a podcast about her death. It is so freaking sad. :( Growing up here, my first exposure to Selena was the movie starring Jennifer Lopez. I do remember watching that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad! what was the podcast?

      as a young teen, I was obsessed with watching all the interviews and videos. I was out of control! It's funny, I didn't know that she didn't speak Spanish until I saw the movie. We always just heard her singing in Spanish and assumed she was fluent in Spanish. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment