Philly Rock 'n' Roll Half 2017 Recap

Race Details
Cost : $56 + processing. I registered in National Running day, with the special discount.
Goodies : Woman's tech cut shirt, and free samples + snacks and beverages post race.
Temperatures : 70 F (21.11 C)  with 89% humidity, overcast.
What I wore: shorts, 2 sport bras, hat and socks.

The Expo
My son loves going to Race expos, he knows there will be free candy for kids, and other free items. Right after we picked up Roger's and my bib, he got a free head wrap, and a drawstring bag. Then my sister and him played a game at the Toyota booth, and got some type of charging device. He also got lollypops and temporary tattoos.
 

The Morning of The Race
I'll confess that one of my least favorite things about doing this half marathon, is driving to Philadelphia before the sun is up on a Sunday morning. But up we went. One of the perks of such a drive, is that I get to spend time with my sister, and we got all caught up on family gossip. It's not really gossip, just observations we make about each other.

I decided months ago, that in honor of Mexican independence day, and the race being a Rock 'n' Roll race, I would wear my Selena sparkly bra. It will likely be the last time I wear it, as it's starting to fall apart. A week before the race, I also made a sparkly hat to go with the outfit.


We picked up my younger sister, who was also running. This is her second half marathon.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Race
We saw the first 3 corrals leave, and went to check in our bags and lined up for the bathroom. I was in corral 12, but the lines for the portable toilets were long and not moving fast. By the time I lined up, I ended up on corral 15.
 
Going into this race, I knew that it would be a difficult race, because of the humidity and high temperatures. I wasn't worried about my time or speed, but hoped to do a 2:10.
 
I felt good and strong for about the first 5 miles. Those 5 miles have the biggest crowds, most of the bands and fantastic views of Philadelphia. After mile 6, I started to come apart and feel really tired and hot.
 
Around mile 6, my shorts started to feel like they were rubbing my left thigh. As I kept running, I keep feeling the burn. So around 6.5, I stopped at the medical tent and shouted at them to give me 4 Band-Aids. Somebody asked me if I was ok, I shouted a yes and after receiving the Band-Aids, took off running again. I stopped a few minutes later to try to put the bandages on my thigh. My hands were shaky and my tights were sweaty, which resulted on my bandages falling off a few steps later.
 
Another mile later, I tried adding the other two bandages, to have the exact same results. I didn't even turn around to pick up the bandages this time. I'm sorry for littering Philly!!
 
I was annoyed, I had run with this shorts many times before, and had slathered my inner thighs with deodorant to keep any chaffing away.... come to think of it, this is exactly why the bandages wouldn't stick. My solution was to spit on my hand and put my saliva on the chaffed area. It worked for the rest of the race.


In the Kelly drive section of the run, I took several walking breaks, my legs were completely fine, but my body was very dehydrated and tired. I hadn't hydrated enough in the two days leading up to the race, even though both days were very warm.

On my walking break, a barefoot Elvis passed me, and I saw a blind man being guided by a group of 5 people... What an amazing sight!! I also saw a man wearing very tight, and constricting shorts, he was wearing a sign that said this was his 10th half marathon this year!! I wondered if how he was able to run with such tight shorts... and wondered if I should ask him for tips on chaffing.


 
shorty shorts man
 
 


As I approached the finish line, when I saw the mile marker for mile 13, I thought I could sprint the last .10... but I felt like I was dying. My legs were sore, my calves were tight, and my heart rate was all over the place. When I crossed the finish line, I was very happy to be done running! I finished at 2:13.

Post Race

I grabbed a chugged a bottle of water and a handful of Ice at the finish line. I put ice inside my sports bra, and down my shorts. I had an icy butt! I grabbed a Gatorade, a wet cold towel, tons of chips and went to meet sister #3 and wait for sister #4. For the record, I stuffed a banana, gummy bears and a protein bar in my bra.

 
 
 


Sister #4 came in at 2:45 something, she said she felt good and was very happy with her time.

I really love this race, but for the second year in a row, the humidity is just a killer. I can at least say that it wasn't sunny, but I'm not sure right now if I will be back next year. This is a weekend with my son, he gets to stay with my mom, and I really hate missing out this time with him. But we'll see what happens.


Any tips to deal with chaffing half way through a race?

How do people run with shorts that give wedgies? I'm asking for a friend

What things can you stuff in your sport bras post race?



Comments

  1. It was so hot and humid this weekend! Good job sticking it through until the end. I once put my salt tabs in my bra (in a plastic baggie) and they dissolved! I ended up cramping. Do you think one day your son will run races with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I remember the salt tabs story! He has done 5ks, and wants to do a 10K, but he also says that he gets tired quickly. I need to get him eating better, so he can run that 10K.

      Delete
  2. Great job to you and your sisters. It was SO hot this weekend so you get extra praise for doing this race. Have you tried body glide for chaffing? If you don't like to do this race could you still visit that weekend and maybe do the 5k race instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I have not tried body glide, it's expensive and I haven't had any issues with deodorant before, or with my shorts!

      I love the race, it just takes a lot of time to do the whole thing. I haven't ruled out doing it, just need to schedule it better.

      Delete

Post a Comment