Friday Five 9.8.17

Happy Friday!!

I'm Linking up with the Friday five 2.0 ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy. The theme today is Post Race meal / snacks... and I already talked about that. Instead, I will share with you 5 food items that I keep at home at all times.



 Tomatoes

We have a rule in our house, if you go to the grocery store, don't question it and just buy tomatoes. Almost everything that we cook requires fresh plum tomatoes. We still run out of tomatoes every week though.

Tomatoes ready to become salsa

Food items that I use tomatoes for : Salsa, rice (Mexican style), steak in tomato salsa, noodles, pasta salad, pico de gallo. 

 Garlic

We use fresh garlic for as many dishes, but we can't buy large quantities of garlic, because it dries out. Roger uses garlic salt and garlic powder, but I exclusively use fresh garlic.

Food Items that I use garlic for: Mexican rice, chicken broth, noodle soup, Steak and pasta, chicken teriyaki.


The ingredients to Mexican rice


 Onions

I love onions! or at least I thought I did, until Roger came into my life, he really LOVES onions! Our favorite onions are the yellow onions, and we buy this at least once per week. However, My uncle Manuel.... he makes us both look like new infants trying out onions for the first time, my uncle LIVES for onions. I have seen him take a bite of an onion, like it was an apple.

Food items I use onions for: tacos, Mexican rice, chicken broth, sandwiches, anything with steak, guacamole, pico de gallo, burgers.

Gazpacho pasta salad


Cilantro

When we were learning English in Mexico, my English teacher mistakenly taught us that Cilantro in English was Celery. It took us a good 4 months to figure out that celery was NOT the right word! My mom grows cilantro, because it saves her a ton of money... I have killed 4 cilantro plants, so now I just buy mine.

Food items I use Cilantro for : tacos, chicken broth, pasta salads, salads, guacamole, pico de gallo.

Taco toppings


 Limes
 
Two very important things: 1. In Mexico we call limes Lemons. We don't have the yellow lemons, to us a yellow lemon is a bad lemon. And  I went for about 14 years calling Limes, lemons. 2. You cannot have tacos without lime! it's just not possible! One can skip the onions, the cilantro, and even the salsa, but a taco without lime doesn't taste right.

Food items I use cilantro for : Tacos, pasta salad, pico de gallo, guacamole, on top of chicken broth with soup, on top of pozole,



Guacamole ingredients
 
Favorite snack cucumbers with lime and ground red pepper/ tajin
Honorable mentions : Cucumbers, potatoes, rice and pasta.


What is one must have food item in your house?

Do you like Onions more than my uncle?

Do you have a green thumb for herbs?

Do you like cilantro?








Comments

  1. I love tomatoes!!!! Definitely a staple in my house.
    And whole grain bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMM Bread!! I love bread too!

      Delete
  2. I never thought of out to g red pepper and lime on cucumbers. That sounds tasty. I love ciksngro but only buy it when I make guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super tasty and refreshing!

      Delete
  3. I read this while walking to lunch. It made me even hungrier than I was. I freaking love cilantro but Paul hates it, so when I make guac and salsa, I have to make a little dish for him without cilantro. I am really craving Mexican now but we don't have any of the good stuff... lime, cilantro, etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does cilantro taste like soap to him? I read that is a defense mechanism from his ancestors... it's in his DnA!

      I make a bean salad without cilantro for a co-worker.

      Delete
  4. I always have garlic, onions, and beans on hand. I love tomatoes but they have to be in season or else they're just not good around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a brat and have to have tomatoes all year round, or don't know how to survive. So I buy them no matter the cost. I know it's awful, but I need tomatoes!!

      Delete
  5. I don't typically buy many limes, but I do like adding the juice now and then into some stuff. I just harvested a huge supply of green peppers and cow horn peppers (first time growing these...I think they're gonna be hot!). I like making salsa, and all of the above five favorites are gonna be utilized ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We buy limes to have with everything!! It's really insane the amount of money we spend on limes.

      Delete
  6. I knew that about lemons! My Mexican friends have told me that. I love both lemons and limes. I have a few smoothie recipes that call for limes. We love pico de gallo at our house but our fresh tomatoes haven't been very plentiful this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a recipe for smoothie with real limes!! what!! that sounds delicious! you had me a limes!

      Delete
  7. I also love cucumbers. They are just so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cucumbers are the coolest veggies!

      Delete

Post a Comment