Work is Getting On The Way Of Running

Work for the last four weeks has been endless, rushed and exhausting! Between Holidays, snow days, and water main issues that have caused the office to close... work is getting on the way of life!

I started thinking of when I started running longer 4 year ago, to deal with the stress of not seeing my son and the stress of work. I would go to work, give my very best everyday, and be told each day that my work wasn't good enough, that it needed to be better, faster, precisely accurate 100%, with no margin for any error.

Thing is, I love my job. It suits so many parts of my personality, the precision of the charts, the definite answer on the numbers, and the definite set of rules. It all just makes sense, and it works perfectly in my head. And adding running, allowed me to deal with the negativity I was getting at work, without losing my mind.

And now, work is keeping me from running, because I'm behind in my work. Being behind in my work is a cause of a lot of stress  for me, and my only solution for that stress is to get the work done as soon as possible, while other things get put in the back. This last two weeks, it has been running that has suffered... and now that is stressing me out.

I'm behind my training for a half marathon scheduled this March, but work is not slowing down!! I almost called off work on Wednesday because I couldn't think of a way to go one more day without running. But it was freezing cold, snow everywhere and there was a pile of audits due to the state.

Lucky, after work I finally ran. And I ran as hard as I could for as long as I could on a tired body and tired brain.

Thursday, I will go into work, with the plan of catching up as much as I can, and staying focused on my goals for the half marathon... because work is what I do, so I can keep running.

Comments

  1. It sucks when what pays the bills gets in the way of the things we enjoy! And I am sure it's not even that you can't find an hour to carve out to run... it's that you're mentally and physically exhausted!

    I also know you take pride in your work and a job well done. I get very overwhelmed when my to do list gets too long. And then even when it's not long I still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about WORK and I can't fall back asleep. UGH. It's like I can't leave work at WORK.

    Hang in there girl. Will things slow down soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate when that happens. Good luck on catching up and hopefully things slow down soon so life can be balanced again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not believe that some one would tell you that you are not doing a good enough job at work. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have to stay longer at work each day to get things caught up? Is that why you are not finding time to run? I know how much you love both so i'm hoping some balance comes your way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment