Friday Five- Les Miserables

Happy Friday!! It has been another busy week here, but the weekend is almost here and it brings all good things with it!

I'm Linking up with the Friday five 2.0 ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy .




I was going to write this in a separate post, but it got out of hand and it turned into a monster. And I figured that if I put it in a Friday Five format, it would be more manageable, it won't bring many readers around... which is fine, because just writing this post makes my heart happy. 

This Saturday we are going to Philadelphia to go see Les Miserables. I LOVE Les Miserables! and have loved it for many years. I never saw the show on Broadway, but saw it on Tour at Penn State, the 10th Anniversary Video concerts, both the Movies ( even the spoken one), and the 25th anniversary concert. 

This are my Five Favorite Les Miserables songs from the Musical.





5. One Day More, The 25th Anniversary Reunion by the Dream Cast- There is no good quality video of this perforce on YouTube, but trust me, this is the best version of One Day More. It has the love of my life (Colm Wilkinson), my lover ( Ramin Karimloo) and Michael Ball. The Eponine in this version is no my favorite, but I get through it. My son and I have seen this version at least 400 times. 


 


4.The Confrontation, anytime that Neal Patrick Harris and Jason Segal perform it- because it's just hilarious! This is my son's favorite Les Miz song, we take turns on who is who. He likes being Jean Veljean best. 




3. At The End Of The Day, 10th anniversary Concert- This version of the concert is and will be my favorite. I have run to the entire soundtrack of it, and it was amazing (<< my mention of running, to tie back to the runner blog persona I try to pass for). The Chorus makes this song the most glorious performance, Ruthie Henshall is my second favorite Fantine, it's impossible to deny that Anne Hathaway is the best Fantine of all time. 



2. Stars, 10th Year Anniversary by Phillip Quast - Phillip Quast voice is everything a Javert should be, strong, yet soothing and scary all in one. Maybe it's the top hat that makes this one of my favorite songs, maybe is because this song makes me hear Javerts inner struggle. 


2.1- On My Own by Samantha Barks both the Movie and the 25th Anniversary concert. Samantha Barks is an amazing singer, and she gives a new life to this heartbreaking song. 

Yes, I know I said 5, but I can't pick just 5. 





1. Valjean's Soliloquy by Hugh Jackman in Les Miserables, the Movie-This performance by Hugh Jackman brought me to tears every time I saw the movie (I went to see it many times at the movie theaters). He became Jean Veljean and gave this song a new level of pain and frustration, he might not have the Cold Wilkinson powerful voice, but he gave the role life and so many feelings. 

Very Honorable mentions : The entire Les Miserables 10th Anniversary Concert, Anne Hathaway's I Dreamed a Dream, Aaron Tviets Enjorlas performance in the movie, Ramin Karimloo's Enjorlas, Eddie Redmayne Empty Chairs At Empty Tables, and every single time that Colm Wilkinson performs any of the songs, I'm sure he could even pull off I Dream a Dream.

Is anybody still reading? 

Comments

  1. Of course I read! Les Mis is a show I always forget that I love until I go see it. It's just so dang sad, I'm never in the mood to see it. But when I do, I enjoy it. Which means I should watch the movie, right? Someone got me the movie back when it came out and I haven't watched it yet! I think Stars and Do You Hear the People Sing are my fav songs from the show.

    If you could be in any musical, which would you choose and what part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Everything about Les Mis makes it the best musical for me... the music, the songs about social injustice, the voices of the singers, the story.

      You haven't seen the movie? It's different and very powerful. Hugh Jackman really did a fantastic job in it, and so did Anne Hathaway. I liked Russel Crowe as Javert, but his singing was not the best.

      If I could be anybody in any music, I would be Velma Kelly in Chicago for All That Jazz and Enjorlas in Les Mis for Do You Hear the People Sing?

      Delete
    2. YOU WOULD ROCK VELMA KELLY!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love Les Mis! And Anne Hathaway's performance of I Dreamed A Dream is one of my favorites. Though the NPH and Jason Segal bit definitely is up there too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Anne Hathawas' I dream a Dream was so heartbreaking!!

      I could see NPH playing Javert!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I read the whole things! One day more is such an earworm. I'm trying to remember where we saw it in the theater; might've been Boston, I don't remember, it was quite a few years ago. Even my husband, who's not so much into musicals, really likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There is so much to love about Les Mis!!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read it, but we did go to see Les Mis a long time ago. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that years ago while in London. It was so long ago that I don't even remember it. Enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! it must have been amazing to see it in London!!

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I read it to the very end and will go back and listen to some of these versions. Les Mis is my all time favorite musical with Phantom a close second. I've seen Les Mis on Broadway twice and on tour so many times, I've lost count. It is an incredible story of grace and mercy ...beautiful story and even more beautiful music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! another Les Mis fan!! I would love to catch it on Broadway at least once in my life.

      The music is just amazing!!

      Delete
  7. Sadly, I have not seen Les Mis (yet). Hoping to check that off my bucket list some day. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bucket list item for sure! thank you Kim!

      Delete
  8. I have never seen Les Mis :( maybe it sounds odd but I just don't fancy seeing it in anything but English. So I'd have to go to London I think. I also don't want to see it the first time as a film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! you have to see it where it originally came from!

      Delete

Post a Comment