Niagara Falls Trip

Last weekend, my entire family traveled to Niagara Falls, NY. I had wanted to go for a long time, and I am glad that I finally got to it!

The drive took about 6 hours, with all the stops. But we played games, listened to NPR and took turns picking music.

We stopped for a bathroom break at Selinsgrove PA... and we ran into these strangers:


Sister M
Mom, Sister N and The Royal Baby #1
We agreed to meet for breakfast in 1 hour. 

When We arrived at Niagara falls, we drove by the Niagara River Rapids, and it looked amazing! We parked the car and agreed to all meet at the Visitor Center. Roger, my son and I went to the "Official Niagara Falls" Visitor Center. 



We had one of those " I am at the Visitor Center, where are YOU?".  The rest of my family was at the OTHER visitor center. 



I don't know why there is TWO visitor centers. 

After we found all of the family members, we headed to see the Waterfalls. It was AMAZING!!




My sister wanted all of us to do the Maid Of The Mist Boat ride, to get a full and up close view of the waterfalls. There were a few disagreements, because not everybody wanted to go on the boat. But we finally all agreed to do the boat ride. 

My youngest Niece was getting cranky and tired of being on the stroller, so I offered to hold her. We were all given a plastic raincoat to put on. I fought with my baby niece to put it on her, it was a bit tight, and it's challenging to put on a plastic bag on a baby, but she looked adorable! She did not like that plastic bag on her and got cranky really quick. 

I started rocking her to get her to calm down and stop crying, and she fell asleep. 

The Maid of The Mist is a standing only boat. There were no seats available for anybody to sit. 


This is not a complaint, as I love my niece. I didn't get so see much of the waterfalls when we were on the boat, I was more worried about holding my niece, keeping her dry, staying upright and interpreting the tour for my parents. So my memory of the boat ride is mostly me covering the baby with my hat and face and my mom holding me close to her to keep me from falling. I love my mom! I also remember how rough the boat turn felt, and how I was sure I was going to fall and throw up. 

After we got out of the boat, and got to the observation desk, the sun came up! So we took all the pictures by the falls. 




I have read and been told many times that the best view of the falls is from the Canada side. And now I understand why. While we got a pretty amazing view of the falls from the USA side, it wasn't a full on view of both of the falls. 

Neither my son or I could travel to the Canada side. I needed a passport, which didn't arrive on time for the trip, and my son couldn't leave the country without me. 

After getting lunch, and resting for a little while; my son and I met up with the rest of my siblings to walk around Goat Island and Luna Island. From there, we got a closer view of the Niagara River rapids and the top of the American Falls and Horseshoe Falls. 

I don't have the words to describe how amazing those experiences are. The water was really clean and blue, the pictures don't do justice to the magnificent power of the river.


Rapids from Luna Island

Luna Island

Top of  The American Falls and rainbow bridge way on the back

Bridal Veil Falls - I don't know why that person had their hand so far out.... the phone would not survive the fall from the top of the falls. I took my picture with my phone safely behind the rail. 


We also walked to the top of the Horseshoe Falls.



There is a huge cloud of mist in the middle of Horseshoe Falls, it can be seen while driving into the town

The view of the American Falls from Goat Island

When I look on the map, my son and I are "technically" in Canada, as that corner of Goat Island is in Canada. My cellphone even changed cell tower to the Canada side
We stayed at a hotel close to the falls in the New York side.


The next Morning, I ran around Goat Island, and Luna Island... and got lots of selfies.





Niagara Falls is a great destination to add to any travel list. If you have the opportunity, cross the border and see it from Canada... and send me pictures!!

Have you ever been to Niagara Falls? 


Comments

  1. How fun that you got to experience this with your family! I've been to the falls several times as a child since my dad has family in Buffalo ,New York but it wasn't until a few years ago that we actually spent an entire weekend there as tourist. We did stay on the Canada side and it is just as beautiful at night as it is in the day. Reminded me of being at the boardwalk with all the lights, and touristy attractions.
    I did not know there was goat island and Luna island. Are they only accessible from the USA side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I don't like traveling with a big group of people is because I want to do what I want to do and I'm afraid not everyone will agree. I'm glad everyone finally agreed to do the boat! It all looks very beautiful. As I was reading this, I was reminded when the illusionist, David Copperfield, escaped from Niagara Falls. Have you ever seen it!? It's fun to watch and try to figure out how he did it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMH-f2E0gvo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment