Irritated With My Technology

Have you considered how many things you depend on your phone for? I hadn't, until my phone broke yesterday.

I was listening to my book, all happy and excited about almost being done with it. When the screen went black and it just didn't come back on.

I tried resetting it, but nothing happened. I tried restoring it, but kept getting an error message. After a few failed attempts, I started gathering all my old technology to try to get through the week, since it seems I will be without a phone until Apple takes a look at my phone.

Then I realized that I am addicted to my phone, I live with my phone attached to me or very near me most of the time. I realized my phone is used constantly through the day for the following

* My alarm clock

* News

* Weather

* Social Media

* Listening to music

* Listening to books

* Taking photos and sharing them instantly with family

* Staying in touch with my family and friends

* Keeping track of my family's whereabouts

* Contact Information for all my contacts- I have no idea what Roger's phone number is

* Keeping track of the books I'm reading

* Reading blogs


On Tuesday night, I wasn't even sure how I was going to wake up on Wednesday morning. But I set up the alarm on my Garmin and that woke me up.

I was annoyed yesterday, but maybe this was the detox I needed to clear my mind off my phone for a few days.


What do you use your phone for?

Do you remember when we didn't carry a phone everywhere ?

Comments

  1. I carry mine around everywhere. Mostly because if I'm needed for my dad, I need to be available. And it's a huge habit (probably not the best). Contacts is a big thing. Thankfully I know my mom's house and work phone as they are the same as they were when I was in high school - wwwwaaaayyyy before cell phones. But don't know anyone else's. Photos are another big one. But I think I can figure out other ways to do everything else. I wouldn't be happy that I had to find work arounds though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember not having a phone and I knew that as soon as I got a phone, those days would be over and I would rely on it. It didn't take me long! I use my phone for basically everything you said but I also use it to play music at work. Really, I should get to use my phone as a tax write off then, correct!? I'm sorry your screen went black I hope there is nothing big wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that would have driven me crazy! I really depend on my phone for a lot of stuff. Especially directions to get places, photos, music and staying in touch with people. Hope its fixed soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I remember not having a phone and sometimes I wish we could go back to it... but yeah, I have to admit, I pretty much rely on it for EVERYTHING too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment