Friday Five - School Year 2017-2018

Happy Friday! How was your week? Mine was really tiring, especially with a short work week. 

My son has finished 3rd grade this Wednesday, and today I want to go back and remember my favorite school events of the year. 

Every year, I make it a point to volunteer for as many events at my son's school as I can. I enjoy going to his school and seeing him in his classroom, I also enjoy talking to his teacher and sometimes even to other parents. This were my favorite events for the school year, in order. 

1. May Fair, and The Glitter Tattoos- We were born to do glitter tattoos! The school puts together a fair at the end of the year, lots of activities, rides and food, all staffed by parents. My son and I have been doing the glitter tattoos for 4 years. 



2. Winter Social- It might be called something else, but it's really the holiday party. The kids are in a good mood, the teachers are in a good mood, and there is lots of food and cookies. This year, I was in charge of the cookie decorating station and I loved it! 







3. Holiday Shop- This is another one of my favorites!! I have been helping kids wrap presents that they buy for their families at the holiday shop for 3 years, and it's still one of my favorites. I also think it's hilarious when kids buy 3 things for themselves and 1 pen for one of their parents. 



4. Run for Education - I was not able to volunteer this year, but I still made an appearance to expectate the run. My son doesn't like running it, but I love walking around with him and dancing to the music... he doesn't like my dancing. 


5. Talking to His Class- This year, I had the rare opportunity to speak to my son's class about becoming a citizen. They were studying the process of becoming a citizen of the USA, and the teacher invited me to talk to the class. I had a great time talking to them about my experience
 and answering their questions.

I am so happy for my son, and I am excited to see what adventures we will have next year! 



Comments

  1. That is so cool you got to share with his class what it is like to become a US citizen! Did any of them have any unexpected questions for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had lots of interesting questions, but the one two that caught me off guard were "what's your favorite color? and what's your favorite food?" One kid asked me if it was hard to leave everything that i knew, and that made me teary eyed. They were a great group and I really enjoyed talking with them.

      Delete
  2. I love that you got to share your citizenship story with his class! I wonder how much they understood it and what it means.

    Looks like you had a great year with him at his school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting, they had just studied about immigrants and becoming citizens. I got to correct something that was wrong on their book.... that marrying a citizen makes somebody a Citizen automatically.... I explained the real process.

      Delete

Post a Comment