Friday Five - Gift Anxiety

Happy Friday!! I hope you are having a wonderful morning.



I'm Linking up with the Friday five 2.0 ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy .

The them for this week is Gift Giving. I don't have any new recommendations on what You can buy people in your life, I hardly know what to buy people in MY OWN life! But I'll share with you 5 Gift Shopping anxieties that are too real for me, in no particular order.

My family has a wish list for what we want for Christmas, but that list only has about 7 items per person, leaving too much room for guessing and anxieties.

1. Ordering the wrong item- I have an irrational fear of ordering/ buying the wrong color, the wrong size, the wrong item all together! I triple check sizes, colors and request before buying, because I want the experience to be perfect. I still end up returning at least 3 things each year.



2. Shipping items to the wrong address- This has been an anxiety for as long as I have been shopping online. Last year, it became a nightmare reality. I ordered two boxes worth of stuff from Target, and accidentally had them shipped to my old address. It was a hassle to re-order everything and to lose the extra discount, but Target was very helpful and refunded me my money. I quadruple check the address now.

3. Do I have enough gifts? Back a few years ago, I used to have a larger budget for each person in my family, and more people to shop for. Now my budget is a lot smaller, and I always worry I don't have enough gifts for my loved ones. I know that my family doesn't care, but I can't help being super anxious about it.




4. Do I have too many things? Yes, I know... I just got done saying that there isn't enough gifts... but every single year I buy too many gifts for my one sister, the one that I'm closest to. Through the year, I find things that make me think of her, and I buy them. Come December, I went over budget and I refuse to take anything back.



( Short story- one year, I got this one sister waay too many gifts, and I had to give them to her secretly after Christmas, because I didn't want my other siblings to get upset that she got more gifts. I still have a small pile to give her for her birthday )

5. What Am I going to get my son? My son's wish list includes toys ranging form $3 to $250, and also things that can't have a price tag added to them (ahem... a baby brother and a bigger yard to play). But, I let my siblings, Roger and his family buy him the toys that he wants. I always give him clothes, books and things that he can use.

Also, I make it a point to keep in mind that there is more opportunities for gift for him in the two weeks after Christmas ( Tres Reyes Magos and his birthday.) However, I still panic and buy him a big gift two days before Christmas.

Honorable mention anxieties: What surprise presents will my family get me ? Who is going to give me a surprise gift I wasn't expecting ? Will my son get really noisy gifts? Did I get enough chocolate for Roger?


Do you have any other gift giving anxieties?

How is the Christmas shopping going?






Comments

  1. Ugh, I'm horrible with gift giving. I definitely have anxieties around this too. I still haven't figured out anything for half my list. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask your family straight up what they want, tell them to give you a list. It is so much easier to know for sure, than to try to guess. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. This is great!!! Do your siblings read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My siblings do not read my blog, but we have talked about this. There is no resentments, Sister #3 is everybody's favorite, so we know that she always gets more stuff.

      Delete
  3. I don't have any gift anxieties! I tried very hard to think of them but... none. I love to give gifts. This year we are trying to give "experiences" instead of stuff. We all have too much stuff! I hope your shopping goes well and the anxiety lifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you don't have any gift anxieties! they are not a good thing to have!


      I haven't finished shopping yet, but I'm about to give up.

      Delete
  4. Ha so I ordered some stuff from Amazon that I needed for gifts today and I accidentally sent them to my daughter at college! Now that is my anxiety too I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon needs to connect with some other devices at home and be all " I see you are ordering stuff, but according to your phone, you don't live there, are you sure you want it shipped there? "

      Delete
  5. I have a sister that I don't mind spending $$ on. But my youngest sister? Not so much. Its kind of tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sisters are just easier to shop for!

      Delete
  6. That's a lot to think about. I'm one of 6 kids and there are 10 nieces and nephews so the gifting got out of hand. We've since gone to a 2-per person "secret Santa" deal that seems to work. Then there's my mother-in-law who refuses to give gift receipts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck shopping for your mother in law!! Some stores still allow returns... fyi!

      Delete

Post a Comment