Friday Five 10.13.17

Happy Friday! Fridays are the best! Especially after a rough week of rushed papers, lots of numbers and forced socialization at the job fair. Today I am volunteering at the my son's school, at their store, so the screaming is not quite done yet, but I will have my very tall coffee ready! 

 I'm Linking up with the Friday five 2.0 ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy. This weekend I'm running the Hershey Half, and this year I'm preparing differently than other years, but I'm not talking about training, I'm talking post race, and chores that still need done at home. 




After Roger and I did our Marathon last year, we were sore and tired for a long time. And we started joking that there should be a service that runners pay for, where people come and do things for them, things they forgot to do while training and preparing for a the race. I would be willing to pay money for the following services:

1. Grocery shopping- After my marathon last year, I had to go to the grocery store to pick up lunch items for my son. In the rush of traveling, packing and being excited, I forgot to prepare his lunch items for the week. There should be a grocery service for runners... as in "Bring me a gallon of Gatorade, a bottle of wine, a French baguette and a box of brownies, I'm tired, because I just ran a marathon (or half marathon, those are exhausting, too). 

2. Babysitting- I love my kid, so much!! he is my world, but after running a half marathon, I just want to lay on the couch, guilt free, and slowly scroll through social media. And I don't want to feel guilty for not being on the floor building legos with my kid, or getting up to find that one toy they can never find. 

Picture from Instagram @runnbersbe


3. Post Race Driving- My favorite post race drives are those where my sisters drive me home. I can just sit on the back of the car, peeling my socks off, and rubbing my calves.... maybe even falling asleep after those 5:00 am wake up alarms! I would be more than willing to pay money for somebody to drive me home after a race. 


4. Meal cooking- I know, they are called restaurants! but I love a good, and large, home cooked meal after a long race. I offered to pay my mom to come and make me enchiladas after my Hershey Half, she said no, because I'm only her second favorite daughter. She did say I was welcome to come over. 

5. Social Media Coordinator - This last one is a stretch, but we live in a world where we are telling the random strangers on line when we are racing, and those random strangers sometimes want to know if one finished the race. I don't post immediate after finishing, because my brain is barely working right, and I can't always find the proper words. So a person dedicated specifically to handle to social media, would be perfect! 

This services should be for a runner, by a runner. Somebody who can understand what it's like to wake up at 3, 4, 5 am, line up and run a long distance as fast as one can, what the body needs after recovery.  For now, please excuse me while I go finish my laundry, load up on groceries, and figure out what I will want to eat Sunday evening. 


How do you prepare for Post race recovery? 

Do you drive yourself back home after a race? 

What other services would you add? 

Would you pay for any of this services? 


Comments

  1. I had my mom come stay with us for my first marathon. My husband was going out of town and if she hadn't come, the kids would not have gotten fed.

    -MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a brilliant Idea!! I'm so glad your mom helped you out! Parents are the BEST!

      Delete
  2. This is genius! I don't even have kids and I want someone to do things for me after a race! Especially drive home. But Paul doesn't drive to I am forced to. I drove us home from Boston the day I ran the marathon. We didn't get home until like 3am and I went to work the next day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you do it? Run and drive back ? I'm getting tired just hearing of it!

      We all deserve a driver after a long race, it needs to be an automatic.

      Delete
  3. This is great! These are all things I put off doing too!

    When I give up running I will send you my resume and perhaps I can be your assistant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to make so much money!! because I would totally pay for this services!

      Delete
  4. I hate driving myself home after a long race. Several years ago, when I wasn't quite as experienced with halfs marathons, I was SO scared of driving home. It was a 80-minute drive and I was afraid I'd either fall asleep or not be able to get out of the car when I finally stopped. Of course...that doesn't even scratch the surface of the "marshmallow brain syndrome" following such a race...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate grocery shopping but I need to pick out my own produce and meat. All the other stuff? Yes, shop for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first year I've done "destination" races and that adds a whole extra level of services I need before and after -- like packing, unpacking, and yes, getting groceries and doing all those weekend chores that I wasn't home to do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment