Friday Five 9.14.2017

Dear Friday, have I mentioned how much I love you? What? I don't say it enough? I know, I will show you all my appreciation by enjoying Friday and joining the Friday Five Link up.

I'm Linking up with the Friday five 2.0 ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy



Today's theme is unique running routes, and it sounded like the perfect time to talk about the Bird In Hand Half marathon. Does it feel like I am talking about Bird in Hand too much?  Yes, probably, but it's my blog. I am going to try something different and give you 5 things about the Half Marathon. 


1. The weather turned out to be perfect for running. I trained for heat and humidity, and got sunny, and cool temperatures, it was 48 F (8.8 C) and 56 F (13.33 C) when I finished. I still wore shorts and a tank top, and was so very comfortable the entire race! My only issue was that the shorts chaffed my inner thighs, even though they were not new and I had raced on them before. 




2. The Route was amazing- One of my favorite parts of the BIH Half is the amazing route through the Amish farms and country side. This year, I saw an Amish family working on their farm, like nothing else was going on around them, like there wasn't 2000 people running by their farm. We also ran by lots of corn fields, and by Amish school houses. I regretted not stopping to take pictures, but I had a goal. 




3. The Hot Air balloon launch makes me forget my nerves. I had a terrible time going to sleep, I was nervous that I would get cold, that I hand't trained enough, that I wasn't ready. But as soon as we got to the race, and saw the hot air balloons getting ready to take off, my mind got busy thinking of how beautiful it all looked. 




4. I figured out the new Taylor Swift song- Somewhere between mile 7-10, my mind was starting to play tricks on me. At mile 7, I was convinced that the rest of the race was only 4 more miles. Around mile 8, I realized that my brain forgets how to do basic math after running 5 miles at 9 ish min pace. Somewhere around this is when the new Taylor Swift song came on, and I listened for all the clues, keeping in mind everything I've read and was sure that I have figured out the meaning of the song. Only I can't remember a single thing now. Access to that part of my brain must only be available after running 8 miles. 

5. I had hoped to beat my Half marathon time, until mile 11. I looked at my watch at mile 10, and realized that if I speed up a tiny bit, I could beat my HM time, and I did well for the 1 mile. Then at mile 11, I got really hungry, like debilitatingly hungry. My breakfast was an egg Mcmuffin, and Coffee. My brother said that I should not have juice before a big race, and I listed to him, but I couldn't eat all of my sandwich without my OJ, and only had about half of it. I could barely walk, and running at 8.40 min/ mile was not a possibility. 

I randomly found this picture of myself in Instagram. After I asked, the person who took it send it to me. 


I finished at 2.03 and change, and was very happy to be beaten my time for this course from last year, by a lot. 

I need at least 2 more medals to have a complete horse

Happy Friday!! 

Have you heard about not having OJ before a race? or before any activity? 

Have you ever ridden a hot air balloon? 

I know we all have crazy thoughts during races, can you still do math while running? 




Comments

  1. Sounds like a great race! The balloons are so cool. I get wonky with my math while running too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend told me that when we are working out, our mind flips a switch to survival, and forget to do things that our body doesn't deem necessary.... very interesting.

      Delete
  2. I want to run this next year so bad!!! I love the pic of you in the corn and the medals too. I have never ridden in a hot air balloon and never will... Okay, what is there to figure out in the new TS song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remind you in December.

      When the TS song came out, everybody was reviewing it... even NPR, and Buzzfeed had tons of theories of what some things in the song meant. With her "feud" with Katy Perry and Kanye West. Part of what bothers me about the song is the "Look at what you made me do ", because I associate that line with domestic violence/ domestic abuse.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your race! Cool medal! I went on a hot air balloon ride lasts year for my birthday and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is such an awesome medal! Next year, I might try for the poop plaque too!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you did well and had a great race!! Amazingly, my math brain is always "on" during a race (no matter the distance). I have only had a Garmin for the past year or so, so I'm used to running with just a "stopwatch" and calculating my approx. pace at each mile marker. And, what's up with the Taylor Swift song? I'm late to the party on that LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect that your brain stays right with the math!

      TS fans are trying to dissect the new song, and there has been multiple articles trying to figure it out...

      Delete
  5. I have a lot of crazy thoughts when running and I only wish I could record them! Once I stop they completely vaporize! Congrats on a great race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! to be able to record them would make for pure insane gold!!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. How beautiful to see those balloons launch! I've had oj before a race and I'm with your bro. Better to skip it. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia! What is it about the OJ?

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your race! I've never been on a hot air balloon but would like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zenaida!! Hot air balloon ride sounds like a bucket list item to me too!

      Delete
  8. Thank you ! I got lucky that the weather turned out perfect!

    Lancaster county is famous for it's farms and the amish draw in a lot of tourist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment