Week In Review - The Lazy Tired Week

Another great school year is done! My son is done with 3rd grade, and soon will be done with another season of baseball. This week kicked my butt, and left me really tired. 




Running 

On Memorial Day, I ran a 5K. A faster 5K than my last, but didn't beat any records. I was still happy to have gotten in those 3 miles. 



I had hoped to run another 5K last night, but it got canceled minutes before it was set to start due to to a storm. 



Consolation pretzel for a cancelled race

I finally got around to doing a 10 mile long run this Sunday. I wasn't really feeling it when I started, but it got done. 



Mothering 

My son finished 3rd grade this week, and to celebrate, I picked him up from school on his last day and took him for ice cream and to the playground. We also had a fun lunch date on his first day of summer vacation. I love that boy!!



Playing legos before lunch
This year, we are taking a few adventures and will be doing lots of exploring around. I am excited to not have to pack lunches and to not have to check homework. 

Hiking

On Memoria Day, we went back to hike Kings Gap park, it looked so gorgeous so full of trees and leaves!! We also got to explore the mansion and the views, which were blocked by the fog. 





And yesterday we hiked Middle Creek Game Lands. It was a beautiful park, but all I remember is the mosquitos buzzing in my ears. 




The hike was in Lebanon County, and when one is in Lebanon, one has to eat Puertorican food. Since Lebanon has a very high population of Puertoricans, they have a couple of restaurants in the city that are really good!



The arroz con gandules and the beans were AMAZING!! I didn't eat much of the pork, but it smelled so good!!

Currently Reading 

I have read Memoirs of a Geisha 2 times and listened to it on audiobook 3 times. It is easily one of my favorite books. I wanted to read it again, and see if I would still like it... and I do! And it is still one of my favorite books. 






Comments

  1. Good job, John! I know third grade is no joke, and you must have worked very hard! You deserve a fun summer.

    Paul and I hiked at King's Gap last year and it was very beautiful. That's a place I always forget about but they have lots of trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I told him I was very proud! I almost failed 3rd grade, only because I was lazy.

      Yes, it is so great!! Our only complaint was that the ice cream shop by the entrance has now closed.

      Delete
  2. I've never we heard of kings gap. It looks like a nice hike. What part of the Puerto Rican food is called "bears"?

    I hope you and your son have a fun summer! Yay for 3rd grade being over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kings Gap is a nice park, set on a hill on Cumberland County.

      OMG!! Thank you for telling me about this! There is no bear in that rice, I promise!! But, Cubans do call their beans and rice "moros y cristianos". And funny story, In Mexico we call beans "Frijoles" and they do in Cuba too. But In Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, they call them "habichuelas".

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've got a fun Summer planned! I love that book too, and haven't read it in years. Maybe I'll try out the audio book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memoirs is such a good book! I have read the book more times than I have seen the movie.

      Delete
  4. I loved Memoirs of a Geisha--still a favorite. What other books are you planning on reading this summer?

    I had no idea that Pennsylvania had so many hiking paths until I started reading blog posts. I feel so ignorant! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best part about school holiday is not packing those lunches or worrying about homework! LOL. I have had Memoirs of a Geisha sitting on my shelf for years but have never read it. After your recommendation, I think I will finally give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment