SUYB March 2018

Happy Show Us Your book day!! Today I'm linking up with Jana and Steph for Show Us Your Books.





March was a slower month in books, with the start of race season, I get distracted easier. 




When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon 3/5

This book was very cute, and a welcome change of pace on my books. I liked the story, but I disliked that Dimple gave up her convictions so easily... I don't know why that bothered me. I recommended this book to my sister, she loved it.





Living History by Hillary Clinton 4.5/5

I really enjoyed this book. I learned new things, especially that the Clintons have been under investigation for the most random things since the 1990s!! I work in a Welfare to work program, and I found it very disturbing that the Republicans wanted to create orphanages for children of those receiving welfare benefits! I also learned that a smart woman always makes men feel threaten... I really enjoyed the book. Now just waiting for What Happened.


The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen 3/5

I got this after reading a few reviews in the link up, and I found the writing enjoyable, but the book left me waiting for more. It was more of a psychological thriller, and it gave me deep distrust for male characters on thrillers.... The male character in the book reminded me a lot of Christian Gray from Fifty Shades, that controlling rich guy attitude. I kept waiting for him to tie up somebody. Can somebody explain to me the meaning of the wedding topper?



You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie - No rating
I read his first book and enjoyed the book very much, so I ordered this one. I was 3/4 of the way into the book, when I found out that he has been accused of sexual misconduct, and thought about dropping the book. But I finished it.... just read it with a different lenses and didn't' take his words seriously. Maybe I should just have dropped it.




Lab Girl by Hope Jahren 4/5

This was a selection from Diverse Books club. I learned so much about trees and about women in Science. I also found the book very soothing. She is coming to a Garden near me, I might go to the lecture.




When We Were Worthy by Marybeth Whalen 4/5

I really enjoyed this book! I found the book to be detailed enough to stay interesting, but easy to keep up with. I just did really hate that the football team got away with everything! That made me really angry and left me thinking for a long while.




Red Sky In Mourning by Tami Oldham Ashcraft with Susea McGearhart 3/5

I saw a preview of a movie called Adrift, and it sounded really interesting and terrifying. Adrift is the adaptation of the book Red Sky In Mourning by Tami Oldham Ashcraft with Susea McGearhart. This book, and movie, are about how Tami and her fiancé Richard get lost at sea while sailing from Hawaii to California. It was an amazing story of survival. She talked a lot about how her spirituality helped her stay focus. I might watch this movie in theaters.



April has brought some other interesting books to me, and I am working my way thorough Simon Vs The Homo Aapiens Agenda, and hopefully finishing A Wrinkle In Time... We hit a slow spot and can't seem to move from it. 

Tell me about your books!! 


Comments

  1. I'm currently reading The Flight Attendant and it's a thriller! Yikes! I also loved Deena Kastor's new book which is out today! I'll be reviewing it on the blog next week but it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that is an interesting thriller, I might have to check it out.

      I'm going to order Deena Kastor's book from the library!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like some ups and downs with reading this month. I want to read When we were worthy and The Wife Between us at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When We Were Worthy was good! check it out soon! before we keep spoiling it for you!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had some interesting books this month! I'm reading a book called The Lion in the Living Room about house cats and their evolution and it's really interesting. I had no idea how bad cats have been for the local environment in places they've been introduced :( Apparently they're responsible for lots of extinctions. My cats stay indoors so I don't have to worry about them killing things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look up that book, because it sounds really interesting!! I read that about cats somewhere else before.

      Delete
  4. i really liked When Dimple Met Rishi - i understand what you mean about Dimple giving up her convictions easily, but i guess it didn't bother me that much because i wanted it to happen lol. The Wife Between Us is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it did bother me, but it was needed for the book to move, and Rishi was so cute! he sounded too perfect! I loved how much he respected his parents.

      Delete
  5. I liked Worthy a lot.

    Didn't the wedding topper have something to do with the parents?

    Can you email me your email address? I usually reply to comments via email and never have yours! lifeaccordingtosteph@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it had nothing to do with the parents, and that the ex-wife found it very suspicious.... they talked about this wedding cake topper so much, that it started to feel like it was the story of the cake topper and that it would serve a bigger purpose.

      Already emailed you!

      Delete
  6. I thought When Dimple Met Rishi was cute, but it's not my most favorite! I really did love Rishi though. :)

    Yeah, I was curious about Alexie's memoir but now it's not something I care to read.

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny that we all loved Rishi more than Dimple!!

      I was so disappointed in Alexie! I read the entire article on NPR and couldn't get over it. But after I continued to read his book, I could see how he would abuse his power.

      Delete
  7. The Wife Between Us has been built up enormously in my circles, too... I've wondered from the get-go if it can live up to the hype. I wasn't aware of the allegations against Alexie. I liked his Part-Time Indian book, but doubt I'll ever read that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! you nailed it! the circles upon circles! I don't think it will live up to the hype... it will fizzle out, because the twist are not intense enough. It was an ok read, but it doesn't compare to better thrillers.

      I know!! I looked up Alexie Sherman to find other reviews on his book, and there it was! sexual misconduct allegations! now I want to research authors before I read their books.

      Delete
  8. I like how diverse your books are. I try to mix up the genres I read but definitely gravitate towards one or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! that is the highest compliment I have received today! I don't have a genre that I gravitate towards, but I do have an insatiable thirst for learning as much as I can about everything and that's what I find in books.

      Delete
  9. Great list! I haven't read any of them, which means, more books for my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dimple is on my TBR and I really enjoyed The Wife Between Us but psychological thrillers are sort of my jam. The wedding topper, man, I can't remember it's significance. I haven't read any of HRC's memoirs or books because it's too hard right now. But I agree - men are too frequently threatened by smart women. And smart men also know to pit women against other women because if we stood together, we'd outnumber them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen a lot of people write about The Wife Between Us this month! I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked The Wife Between Us. I've heard good things about When Dimple met Rishi and it's been on my to read list. Living History has been on my bookshelf for years! I just haven't felt motivated to read it! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadly, i don’t have much time to read...but I am bookmarking several of these! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked When Dimple Met Rishi. I thought the author said some really powerful things through Rishi's perspective. There were several quotes about the American Dream that really got me. I liked seeing diversity in YA reads. :) I want to read When We Were Worthy. Looking into Lab Girl. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  15. The wedding topper is the cake topper. I think the greater purpose of it being brought up so many times was just to prove the character's dishonesty.
    I liked Worthy but I think I liked her first book (it was last summerish?) more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When Dimple Met Rishi has been on my TBR list for a while now, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I think it'd be incredible annoying to always be under investigation for something... Geez. And the lawyer fees! Lol
    Hope you enjoy A Wrinkle in Time. I didn't, though I read it as a 20-something year old and I think I'd have liked it more if I'd read it when I was a kid. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment