Friday Five - 5 Things To Do As a Citizen

Happy Friday! I hope you are having an awesome day!!



Since I became a Citizen last week, and I am still bragging about it, today I bring you the 5 things I'm most exciting things I want do as a citizen of The United States of America: 

1. Vote- the number 1 most important activity a citizen can do. I know people don't like to get "Political" but trust me, our banks, our phone provider, our employer, our health insurance, our grocery stores, and many other services we pay for, get political and they pay good money to pass legislature that will benefit them. We can put our vote where our interest are.

2. Run for Office - During my citizenship interview, the Immigration Officer asked me why I wanted to become a citizen, he appeared shaken up when I said I wanted to run for office. ! I might run for school board... and make my way up to Governor... Kidding... I meant Senator. I would really love to start with a local office and see where I can go. 

3. Volunteer for A Campaign - I will be volunteering for the Governor's campaign, because I strongly believe on the change he is making in Pennsylvania. I know that I said some really mean things about him on his first year, but I was very angry about the Budget impasse and the impact that had on our program. 

4. Serve In a Jury- I was called to serve on a jury a few years ago, but because I wasn't a citizen at the time, I was dismissed before I even appeared in court. But now, if I get called to be in a jury, I can at least go through the screening. 

5. Sponsor family to become a resident- I wanted to marry my middle school best friend, and help her get her green card, but she got married to somebody else, and broke my heart! I should not be joking about such a serious matter, but as a citizen I can sponsor a family member to get a legal resident card. It's not as easy as it sounds either, it's a very long and expensive process, I'm talking hundreds, if not thousands of dollars and years followed by years of waiting. 

I hope you are all exercising your rights as Citizens of the United States of America!! I'm a citizen, I can be preachy!


Comments

  1. Woohoo!! When will the first election be that you can vote in? I'm excited that you are thinking about running for office! I will work on your campaign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be able to vote in the Gubernatorial elections in November.

      Delete
    2. YAY!! WOLF FOR PA!!! We were on the Turnpike this past weekend and there were billboards for Scott Wagner everywhere and I flicked every billboard off.

      Delete
  2. Congrats again! That's exciting that you're thinking about running for office :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment