Hershey Half Marathon Recap

Race Details

Race Date : October 15th, 2017
Goodies: Reusable grocery bag, Woman's tech cut shirt, reusable lunchbag filled with recovery food. Chocolate at mile 11.5.
Weather: 66, cloudy with 100% humidity.
What I wore: shorts, tank top, short socks, and long sleeve shirt that I took off before mile 2.

This race almost didn't happen. My sister watches my son for this race each year. But this year, both of the sisters who could have watched him were traveling for a wedding. I asked one of my brothers that I offered to pay him to watch my son, and he agreed. But two weeks before the race, Roger decided he would not be running Hershey and agreed to watch my son. I still paid my brother, because he was counting on the money.

This was my Third year of doing the half marathon, really LOVE the Hershey Half. I like the course, the hills, the crowds, the entertainment.


The Race

I went to the bathroom 2 times before lining up, I was worried about the humidity and had Nuun before the race. As the race got started, I had the feeling that I should use the porta-pottie again, but didn't. I regretted that.

I felt good for the first 6 or 7 miles, but the hill around mile 8 got me good!! And right after that, I stopped to use the bathroom because my bladder made me feel as if I was going to pee myself. I regretted stopping ! This 2 minute stop messed me up a lot. I couldn't pick up my pace, couldn't stay focused on running and my legs started to feel really tired.

I checked my phone to text Roger and tell him to save me a bite of food for when I saw them at 11.8 miles.

When I came to the chocolate station at mile 11.7, I grabbed all the chocolate I could take from the volunteers, for my son, I am not a big fan of chocolate.

As soon as I saw my son, he shoved a donut on my face and I took a small bite, gave him a kiss and kept running.

I finished at 2:05:54. I was happy with my results. After I got my medal, my goodie bag and went to collect my checked-in bag. This took a really long time, as they had no organization system at all, and a lot of people chose to use their Hershey Half bag, with no other identifying feature. I was going to change my clothes, but I was desperate to go find my son and Roger to have breakfast.

At the race, I saw people dressed up in costumes, the most remarkable one was the two girls dressed like Daenerys Targaryen and her Dragon. There was also a guy dressed as Forrest Gump, bear and all.

I was alone for this race, so the pictures there are of me have to be purchased.... and I haven't gotten around to it. I rarely ever buy them, but I might get one of this race.


I hope to be back next year for another awesome Hershey Half!




Comments

  1. That's so sweet that your son gave you that bite of the donut as you passed by :) Sounds like a great race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could have him stand by mile 10 at every race and give me a bite of donut, it would be a dream come true.

      Delete
  2. I bet it was so great to see your son during the race! :) How many races have you done this year? You are a racing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always great to see him at races!

      This year I just finished 22. I went a little overboard, but I have enjoyed every single one of them so much!

      Delete

Post a Comment