Dia De Los Muertos 2017

Today in Mexico we remember those who are no longer with us, we set up altars with things they liked when they were with us and tell stories of spending time with them. I wrote about festivities last year, today I want to remember people.

My Grandfather Simon

Growing up, he was our father figure, he helped and supported my mom on anything and everything she did. My Grandfather was a hard worker, very smart and always seeking information. He always stood tall and he always smiled for pictures. When I was little, he told me that one must always give the brightest smiles for all pictures, he didn't give me an explanation, but I followed his lead.
 
 

My favorite story to tell people about him is about the time he came to our house in Mexico, I must have been 10 or 11. For a reason I can't remember, I was alone in the house and my grandfather arrived with a rotisserie chicken, tortillas, rice and Mole sauce. He had brought it to share with my mom, and my sisters. When he found out they weren't home, he said we would still eat it. I asked him which part I could have, because my mom would always feed me the chicken breast. He said we were going to eat whichever part we wanted, we were going to devour this chicken ! This was so much fun, and We went to town on the chicken, rice and mole!





My Grandmother Ninfa

I had the immense pleasure of having spent two summers with my grandmother as a child. Those were fantastic summers, I used to help her with chores, and she taught me so much about the chores of a farm house. The milking of cows, feeding chickens, feeding the cats, collecting eggs, making tortillas.

My favorite story of my grandmother is the time that I wanted to have cookies with my coffee milk(milk with instant coffee and sugar, which she got me hooked on at the age of 5). My mom had gotten me used to having cookies with my milk, but my grandmother didn't have any cookies. So she took me to the store, and bought me 5 Ritz Crackers. Yes, 5 Ritz Crackers. I didn't complain, I ate them and we went with our day.

My Uncle Ruben


My uncle lived with us for many years, he was like a big brother, a mean and funny big brother. We always treated him as a brother, and didn't even call him Uncle, just straight up Ruben.

The first time I met my uncle, when I was 5 years old, he had long hair and a beard. I was so scared of him, that I refused to speak to him until he cut the hair and shaved the beard.

Other relatives that I remember, on Dia de Los Muertos

Uncle Martin- He once gave me $20 Pesos. That day he was my favorite uncle.
Uncle Juan- He looked like a very handsome Mexican singer and he was a very classy man.
Aunt Antonia- She was so fearless and strong!
Cousin Miguel - We used to play together, because we were very close in age.
Uncle Abel- He was mean to me, I don't remember much more about him.



Comments

  1. This is such a great tradition, and I love those stories about your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name Antonia. :)

    Grandparents are the absolute best. I have so many great memories of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty name, it's the female version of Anthony.

      Grandparents are our best gifts!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Karen. I only knew one set of grandparents, from my mom's side. My paternal grandparents passed away when I was a baby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment