I am So READY to Vote!

In most countries, the legal age for Voting is 18. I have been 18 for 18 years, and have not in my life participated in an elections. You cannot imagine how sad that statement makes me. But so is the life of an immigrant woman.

I couldn't vote in my countries elections, because I don't live there. And I couldn't vote here until this year, because just this year I became a citizen. When people asked me what was I most excited about with being a new citizen, I said 1. Voting, and 2. Committing crimes without the threat of being deported ( I have no intention of committing a crime, but if I happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, an immigration court could make it their job to get me deported, despite it being a first offense. But again, no intention of committing a crime)

Have I done my research on the candidates? For the most part. I know that my support is 100% behind Tom Wolf, our sitting Governor. He has moved the state forward in many issues, including LGBT rights, and medical marijuana. He also is supportive of more background checks, for gun purchases. The other guy is a Global Warming denier, and I can't support somebody who refuses to even consider the thought of Global Warming. ( I know he is a Global Warming denier, because during an interview about the changing climate, he said "That's not real, so I have no opinion on it." or something along those lines.

For Senate, I will be supporting Bob Casey. To be painfully honest, he is wishy washy on policy, but for the life of me, I cannot vote for Lou Barletta for Senate. Lou Barletta is a blatant racist man, who in 2006 made it illegal for landlords to rent to undocumented immigrant, and fined employers who hired them in Hazleton, PA. In short, Barletta is vile and should not be in any public office.

For Congress, My dirty underwear could be running for Scott Perry, and I would vote for it. Scott Perry is a conservative who is only interesting in moving forward his own agenda and promoting his beliefs as those of Cumberland County PA. And I'm here to stand up and say "No more Scott Perry !"

In short, I will be voting straight Democrat. The current Republican party has made it blatantly clear that 1. they are racist, 2. they hate women, 3. they hate immigrants, and 4. they hate poor people. As I am a poor immigrant woman, I plan to vote against them.

I know Midterm elections are not the most popular elections, but I believe this are the ones that will affect my life the most. The budget for the contracts in my office gets determined by the Governor, and last time we had a Republican Governor, my office lost 10 staff members.

Also, when I need to call somebody to complain about the policies the president is trying to pass, I have to call my congressman and my senator.


Comments

  1. I just voted straight dem too!!! congrats on your first time voting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for voting! I remember being super excited when I became a citizen and could finally vote too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment