Friday Five 8.18.17

Happy Friday! Sadly, today is the last Friday before my son starts 3rd Grade. I am happy that he is starting 3rd grade, but not all that excited for school, homework and school schedule.. UGH!

I'm joining the Friday 5 Link up with  Running on Happy & Fairytales and Fitness . 




Today's theme is Running / Fitness fuel, but I'm no expert on the subject, by any stretch of the imagination. However, I would recommend checking out the link up for other awesome bloggers who eat way better than me . 

I used to eat randomly whatever I was hungry for. However, in the past 3 years I have found that my body doesn't get anything out of a McDs quarter pounder and fries, and it also leaves me feeling miserable. And today I want to remember 5 foods that have been added to my eating in the last 4 years, that I want to believe help me feel better. 

1. Salads - I used to hate salads !! it made me feel like if I was a cow chewing green leaves and raw tomatoes, but I have learned to LOVE salads. There is a specific salad from a local deli that has all of my love... don't tell tacos and burritos that I am cheating... Simply Turkey In Harrisburg has this salad they call The Boss Salad, I can add anything my heart desires to it. My Ana Boss Salad has mixed greens, spinach, baby tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots, broccoli, three bean kicked salad, turkey and ranch dressing. 



2. Greek Yogurt- I love Chobani Strawberry yogurt! I have one for breakfast every morning that I am at the office. 

3. Oatmeal- In the mornings at home, it is a battle to get myself up, showered and ready for work, add to that my kid being grouchy for having to be up early... and there is no way that I am eating breakfast before I leave home. But as soon as I arrive at the office, I eat my oatmeal, and that is so satisfying to have first thing in the morning. ( or for snacks when I was forced to skip lunch and have to survive until the end of the day. 

4. Water- I know water is not food, but my history with drinking water before my pregnancy was horrific. It really is amazing that I have teeth with the amount of soda I used to consume. Nowadays, by the time I leave work I am ready to sit in traffic, on the verge of tears with the most intense need to pee of my life, because of the 40+ oz of water I drank before leaving the office. ( I read somewhere that a stomach can only hold about 12 oz of liquid ) 




5. Uuhhh... Look at that, I only had 4.... oops... Well, I'm trying to give up eating donuts, but it is not my fault that the Site Administrator brings donuts randomly by surprise! Yesterday she brought Amish made donuts, and I could not resist the smell of the yeasty warm donuts in the break room! I sacrificed my bagel and went for the donut! Which I regretted as soon as I ate 1/3 of the donut. 


I have used this picture of donuts a lot... they just look so pretty

What would you add to your Boss Salad? 

Do you have a favorite Yogurt Flavor? 

How about a favorite Oatmeal flavor? 




Comments

  1. I like oatmeal but it never fills me, so i eat big bowls of cereal! 3rd grade! 3rd graders are my favorite because they are older but still aren't too cool for school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat the oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast, and lots of coffee. That holds me over until lunch. I have never liked cereal, I just want even bring myself to buy any.

      3rd grade will be awesome! I hope he is not as bad as I was in 3rd grade!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you are back to drinking water!

    Greek yogurt is the only yogurt i'll buy because I like the thicker consistency!

    I love salads! It's so fun to make different ones with different ingredients. This week i've been making spinach salads with chicken, fruit, dried cranberries and pecans. I had a raspberry vinaigrette dressing for it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your salad sounds delicious!!

      Delete
  3. Oh man, those donuts look so good! I'm trying to give them up to except for a very rare treat. But I do love oatmeal so I'm trying to convince myself that it's just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have donuts at least 2 times per week, but now it's more like 1 every 2 weeks.... they are so delicious!

      Delete
  4. I drink a lot more water when I'm pregnant too! I kinda wonder if this habit of mine is going to stick once I have the baby. I'm not a big salad eater because I hate getting it all over my face. I'll eat salads all day long if I can stuff it all into a tortilla, wrap it all up and eat it that way but even then as soon as it starts to fall apart, so do I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes ! salads are so messy! why is that? why can't they just be easy to eat and move along!

      do you warm your tortilla before you wrap it? warm it on a skillet for like 20 seconds and it will not break apart, for the most part.

      Delete
  5. I make "big salads" much like your boss salads. They contain everything and anything--whatever I have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always crack me up! Your boss salad sounds so good- I have never been to Simply Turkey, yet it's a few short miles from my house. Yogurt I usually go for plain greek (less sugar) and then add strawberries and home-made granola! Oatmeal is brown sugar/cinnamon. I would love to find a way to like it without sweetening, but I don't think it's possible. I hope your little guy has a great first week back at school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply turkey is so good! Their hot turkey meals are delicious!

      I admire your dedication to cut out sugar! I don't have that strength at all!

      Delete

Post a Comment