Dressing UP

Happy Halloween!! I really like Halloween and dressing up, the other day when I was discussing ideas for costumes, my sister told me that the thought it was weird that I put to much effort into dressing up. I laughed! because it is true, I put a lot of effort into it and I LOVE doing it!

I started to think of why I dress up, and although I am not a train psychoanalyst, I can trace my need to dress up to an unfulfilled need from my childhood.

Short story- While in Kindergarten I was not allowed to participate in the Spring parade and dress up with my classmates. The teacher designed the float and assigned costumes to all the kids. I had really long black hair ( Like the other 10 girls in my class), but my teacher wanted ME to be the witch. My mom said "No WAY, my daughter will not be the witch and will not be participating." The rest of my sisters got to participate when their time came, and I secretly envied them.

And Now, I make up for that one time I wasn't allowed to dress up as a child, and dress up any chance I get.

For Races

As Frida Kahlo for the Hero Run

 

As Guy Diamond, from Trolls,  for last year Trick or Treat

 
Selena for Philly RnR Half


And Each year, for the past 10 years, I dress up for Halloween.


AS Chapulin Colorado



As Selena ( one of the four times I went as Selena)



As Selena Again



I have made most of my costumes, with the Selena Sports bra being the project that took me the longest to complete. Also, whenever possible I use Mexican Icons as inspiration.

This year, I wanted to go as Severus Snape, the mean Potions teacher from Hogwarts. I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about Snape and how mean he was, but I have always loved Alan Rickman, and I thought of my costume more of a tribute to him and his most famous Character. However, my son didn't want me to go as Snape... he just finished the last Harry Potter book, and he is currently mad at Snape. So, maybe next year.
 

Comments

  1. Aww... I love Snape! Hope that costume gets a thumbs up for next year :) I love costumes and dress up in theory but then often end up too lazy to pull things together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw HP but I support your costume decision ! :) I wore a cat mask to school. We're not technically supposed to dress up. And I wan't invited to any parties. Halloween actually hasn't been very fun these past couple years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment